RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What to go to from WHSv1?

Jazman

I wasn't sure what forum to post this in, so I'll let it start here and a mod can move it where they wish...

So, I've not a new system built and put together to replace an aging WHSv1 system.  The old system did me well, but it's just a matter of time until drives start to fail.  I've not no indications yet so those drives will be finding a home somewhere but in a place where I don't care as much about reliability.

So, the question is this... what OS should I load?  For WHSv1, my main uses are this:

1. Recorded TV server - I have a different computer that actually does the recordings, but at night they are then copied to the WHS to serve the files to the HTPCs in the house (not replicated by DE)

2.  Movie server - DVD rips serving the HTPCs.(not replicated by DE) 

3.  Shared file server - I keep a ton of files related to pinball, financial backups, software installers, etc all stored here (replicated by DE and backed up by Crashplan)

4.  PC backups - I don't use BDBBU but probably should be.

Here's what I'm looking to do with the new version IN ADDITION to the above...

5.  In addition to DVDs, I plan to add blu-ray rips as well

6.  Plex server - I plan to run a Plex server somewhere on my system.  It would be nice to run it on the server but it isn't a show stopper if I have to run it on another machine

7.  DE replacement - Probably StableBit - we don't need to debate it.  I've considered the options and DE is right for the home user - this one at least.

8. Backup of PC backups - Honestly, if I can't do PC backups with the new system, it's not the end of the world.  So, if the best choice for everything else doesn't do this, then that is fine.  But, if I do them, I'd like to have backups.

9.  VMs - I'd like to start playing with VMs and would like the server to be able to host/run them. 

So, I am inclined to go with WHS2011/v2 but I don't know if it can run VMware or some of the other free VM applications.  I don't have access to WSE 2012 R2 so that would not be a real candidate.  In addition, I have no need nor desire to setup a domain.

So, what do you guys think?

Thanks,

Jaz

I do all of the above except for VM's on 2011. It is cheap and runs well on my 3 year old hardware. When support ends in 2 years I hope

there is a suitable replacement or a big price drop for 2012. I tried 2012, it always felt like too much for a simple home user like me.

I should add that I also consider myself a "simple home user".  It's not that I couldn't learn domains, or a more complex OS, it's that I don't have the time or interest in becoming an expert.  I love tinkering with hardware and all the cool software, but I simply don't have the time or patience to do all the experimenting and playing around on my home systems.  I want it to work and work well with as little screwing around as possible. 

I'm an engineer by trade and spend my days solving issues, I don't want to have a ton of issues to solve at home too.

Thanks again,

Jaz

I do all of the above except for VM's on 2011. It is cheap and runs well on my 3 year old hardware. When support ends in 2 years I hope

there is a suitable replacement or a big price drop for 2012. I tried 2012, it always felt like too much for a simple home user like me.

I would go 2011 as it will meet 90% of your requirements and the price is right.

I am not sure about hosting VMs but if memory servers, this will not work.

On the upside (if you are using WMC for recording TV) there is a built in TV archiving feature that will move recordings as soon as they are finished.

This is great because you dont then need a honking size drive in your recording device.

I see no reason Plex would not run happily.

Ok, I did an initial install on the hardware of WHS2011 just to see how that process works.  I had driver issues with some hardware not being identified.  I wasn't sure what version of drivers I should get but a thread on here helped alot.  The answer was Win 7-64 bit.

So, now that's installed I started doing the extensive updates.  At this point I noticed that it seems that WHS2011 is based on Server 2008 R2.

So, my question is now this - what about Server 2008 R2 instead of WHS2011.  Would that be a better option given my requirements?  Being a mainstream server build, it seems like it would have better support.  When does Microsoft support end on Server 2008 R2?  I do already have a license key for 2008.

I understand that I wouldn't get PC updates with that OS.  But, honestly, the more I think about it the more I don't care.  I backup my important files to the server's shared directories already.  I have -zero- faith or interest in the client restore function.  There is too much overhead required to maintain the drivers that you need to use it for a "maybe" scenario.  I never intentionally need the client restore as I don't do a ton of testing/reinstalling routinely.  If I ever need to restore a computer, it will be a clean OS install and then bringing the files back that I need.

That said, the fact that is automatically backs up all the data - including those that are hidden away in wierd places by the wife - and those that I forget to backup is a nice thing.  So, I'm not 100% sure I'm willing to give that feature up.  But, I can definitely see myself leaning that way.  Heck, I might even decide to just virtualize the WHS2011 OS in whatever system I use just to get PC backups.  I guess that is always an option right?

Jaz

What are you looking for the server to do?  If client restores is high on your list, then the standard versions of 2008 are not going to do that.  How about Remote Access to clients and data?  For $40. WHS 2011 is a no brainer.

Or you could run 2008 as a Hyper-V host and virtualize WHS 2011 inside.

What are you looking for the server to do?  If client restores is high on your list, then the standard versions of 2008 are not going to do that.  How about Remote Access to clients and data?  For $40. WHS 2011 is a no brainer.

Or you could run 2008 as a Hyper-V host and virtualize WHS 2011 inside.

My OP says specifically what I want the server to do...

and no, client restores as per the client restore application is a zero priority and I've nearly zero luck with it...

Thanks,

Jaz

Edited by Jazman

2011 is still the way to go.

Ok great.  WHY is it the way to go?  As I said, I have licenses already, so if cost isn't the issue, then what?

Jaz

Edited by Jazman