RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Restore a BIOS recovery on an UEFI computer

kylejwx

Hi, I currently have windows 8.1 pro installed on my computer and the motherboard is set to traditional bios mode.  The motherboard has the option to switch to UEFI, but it is disabled.

Does anyone know of a way to do a bare metal back up and allow it to be restored after changing to UEFI mode on the motherboard?  I think when I tried this before with a Windows System Image, but it failed.  Possibly Acronis?

Are you trying to switch the computer from BIOS mode to UEFI mode without having to reinstall everything?  I'm not certain how successful you'll be with this.  You will need to completely repartition the disk in order to convert it from MBR to GPT.  I personally would have more faith in a reinstall and restoring only my user files from backup.

Did a quick search and I found this, apparently it's possible, but somewhat risky.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14286.converting-windows-bios-installation-to-uefi.aspx

Yes, I am trying to switch the computer from BIOS mode to UEFI mode without having to reinstall everything.  Thanks for clarifying, I was struggling to explain what I meant.   Thanks for the link, I may give that a shot.

You can switch it easily. As for booting.... if it supports legacy booting, then yes. If not. then it needs to re-partition the drive, install a "UEFI System" partition, so it can boot properly.  So, a reinstall would basically be necessary.