RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
awraynor

Hotel Internet Safety

Drashna Jaelre

IT's worse. Because a good chance that half the computers are infected. And those systems will be more than willing to try and access SMB on your system to "share the love".

ikon

Yeah. I was just trying to get the idea across that you shouldn't trust the hotel network :)

oj88

It's worth mentioning that unless it's some seedy hotel situated besides a drug den and an, erm... adult place, most of hotspots in proper hotels have a feature that prevents wireless clients from 'seeing' each other. I think the feature is called wireless client isolation or something. Well, at least that's the sort of WiFi service I'm quite accustomed of in the non-sleazy hotel rooms I've stayed on.

It's not to say you shouldn't use a firewall. I just thought that credit be given where it's due.

ikon

Yeah, I think a router is a wise choice.

awraynor

Thinking I might keep server isolated from internet and just serve movies from it.

Web surfing will have to be from wife's 8.1 notebook. She wants to keep my ChromeBook

and make me take the 8.1 machine.

ikon

Ah, poor you. I guess you'll just have to grin and bear it ;)

awraynor

She has one of the earlier Windows8 machines. She was quite frugal and bought an Acer

Corei3. It is fairly painful to use. I would rather have my ChromeBook and she would too.

dvn

...proper hotels have a feature that prevents wireless clients from 'seeing' each other. I think the feature is called wireless client isolation...

I remember a previous discussion about wireless isolation -- http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3925-wireless-isolation-ap-isolation-technically-speaking/ - - where ikon summed it up this way: "It's actually not very complicated. Simply don't forward packets from this MAC to these other MACs and vice-versa."

Assuming the router is not hacked, that should take care of packets on the LAN, right? In any case I'm still using my own firewall. The problem is wireless sniffing and that's where VPN comes in. Or would you just https everywhere and forget about the configurations and extra hardware?

ikon

In a hotel I would be tempted to not use wireless at all: do everything wired.

jmwills

VPN is the only way to fly.