RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
awraynor

Hotel Internet Safety

awraynor

With my pending job change I am looking at a likely 4-8 week stay in an Extended Stay Hotel Environment.

I would like to connect a desktop, notebook and my 2011 box to the network.

I understand this to be a less than desirable scenario in many ways,  not looking forward to it.

What are some best practices that I could follow in this situation?

oj88

I'd put an intermediate router/firewall between the hotel network and my own equipment. And then depending on the sensitivity of my work, I'd go one step further and configure a VPN connection to my work HQ.

awraynor

My family will stay behind for a couple of months and leaving the DIR-655 with them. Given it already works well with Ooma and everything else.

I found my trusty old Linksys WRT-54G loaded with DD-WRT in the closet as we were packing. I've got it in the box with me and thought

the router would be a good idea. I'll set all to a public network, with windows firewall enabled.

The server has BitDefender Free with windows firewall. The desktop with BitDefender Sphere and I can use their firewall in lieu of Windows Firewall

if that would be superior. I will likely take my wife's Windows 8.1 notebook and leave her the chromebook. She likes the Chromebook better anyway.

Given the length of stay I want to be as safe as possible. This is certainly an impetus to find a house as quickly as possible, but I'll be in there for

at least a month.

oj88

I also have a DD-WRT router running OpenVPN.... Well, my need to access geo-blocked sites is my reason for setting it up. But I imagine you could do the same for purposes of security.

jmwills

If the hotel has a wired connection uee your router there and just creste your own private network. Definitely create a VPN back to the home network.

awraynor

If the hotel has a wired connection uee your router there and just creste your own private network. Definitely create a VPN back to the home network.

Seems the way to go. Now to get on the ground and actually find somewhere to stay temporarily.

jmwills

Been there done that....have fun

Jason

...and enjoy that painfully slow internet access - even wired. Ugh.

awraynor

Yes. It is a suboptimal situation in many ways. I hope it is a max of 6-8 weeks.

Thankfully I have already seeded my 800GB CrashPlan backup.

ikon

Absolutely put a router between you and the hotel LAN -- treat it as if it's the Internet which, in a way, it is.