RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Glavian

New Baremetal Backup software

Glavian

I was listening to Jim's HomeTech podcast (Ep 154) and as a long time user of Windows HomeServer (v1 and 2001) and Server 2012 Essentials I can sympathize with Andrew's plight of not being able to backup enterprise clients (especially if they aren't on the same domain). That being said I was doing some research last night and stumbled across http://www.urbackup.org/index.php?lang=en. I'm just testing it now on a linux based VM backing up my Windows PC (which is on a Server 2012 Essentials domain) and so far it seems good. There is an installer for Windows that should install the client on either a Windows Server platform or even just a Windows 7/8 PC. I thought I would bring this up and see if anyone else is interested in testing this along with me. As a side note I don't own or have any affiliation with this program, and while the interface is a little raw, it certainly is functional and could be a free set it and forget it backup platform.

Edited by Glavian

ikon

Just curious: do you know if it supports Single Instance Storage?

Glavian

Hi sorry for the delay in responding to this, but from what I can tell the backups are all done as direct vmdk files.  So while the PC's can be backed up individually, there is a full backup of each PC on the server.  So in other words the short answer is no.

jmwills

I can't imagine Enterprises dedicating storage for VDMX files. As long as the data is secure, clients can be reimaged.

ikon

Hi sorry for the delay in responding to this, but from what I can tell the backups are all done as direct vmdk files.  So while the PC's can be backed up individually, there is a full backup of each PC on the server.  So in other words the short answer is no.

Too bad, SIS is really a fantastic feature.

Glavian

Another solution to look at that I just found is http://go.unitrends.com/vmworld-backup-2013 Unitrends new free virtual appliance for backups.  It does baremetal and I know the version we run on our backup solution at work does do de-duplication (another way of saying Single Instance Storage) so maybe this is the solution for people that don't want to or are unable to buy Server 2012 Essentials R2.