RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dennis

iLO, Warranty, Firmware update

Dennis

I received my Gen8 server recently, and have just installed 4 4TB disks and an HP 462834-B21 controller card to run in Raid-5 mode.  Also installed a 512GB SSD in ODD, and have Ubuntu installed on that; it works great as my boot disk.  All well and good.  Very happy.

Now I want to try iLO.  So I got the trial Essentials license and installed it.  Then I went to the HP site http://www.hp.com/go/iLO to get the latest firmware.  That site requested a serial number, which I did provide.  But after entering that S/N, I get the following disappointing information:

Warranty status i.png
Expired
End date:

SN: MX23....GK

HP will not allow me to download anything, including iLO firmware updates, since the warranty has expired.  I didn't even know these have been out long enough that any units' warranty would be expired.  Is this correct?  I only ordered it recently (granted, not from HP).  Am I misstepping here?  Any advice at all?

I am also more than a little concerned that HP will cut us off from firmware updates due to expired warranty.  I've never heard of that before!!!  Is that really true, or am I just not following some protocol correctly? 

Thanks,

Dennis

Joe_Miner

If I'm understanding you correctly, You don't download the trial Essentials License and you Don't download it => the iLO4 license is included in the Gen8 -- the Basic is there.  When you post there will be a web address in the lower left after iLO -- enter that web address into a web browser on you home network or even on your Gen8's web browser -- you'll get a warning that there's a problem wit this website's security certificate, ignore that and click on "Continue to this website (not recommended)." and it will take you to the iLO4 HP ProLiant Firmware Version 1.3x and its address -- sign on screen.  Look at the little tan card that was attached to the back of your Gen8 that is labled iLO Default Network Setting.  for the sign on screen user name type in the user name on that card (mine said Administrator) for password on the sign on screen type in the password on the card xxxxxxxx and you're in.

If you want more than the basic functionality of the preinstalled iLO4 on your Gen8 you will need to find an Advanced License -- check the Gen8 Links page -- there's lots of links there to places you can get an Advanced license which is basically a key that you go into your iLO4 basic and enter the key and it opens the Advanced features.

Dennis

Here is some interesting reading for you in regards to HP's new firmware download policy.

http://homeservershow.com/hps-new-rules-access-firmware-driver-downloads.html

Interesting indeed, but not very encouraging!   "... this aligns with industry best practices and is the right decision for our customers..."  Yowsie!  A best practice that, for some reason, only HP follows.  Hmmm.  The right decision for our customers.  Meaning, "we're going to lead them to the door so that they may re-find their way and find vendors who provide better support."  And, come on, HP.  It's not the 19th yet... what's the deal?

But still.  My overriding question: can it be that this HP Microserver Gen8 is out of warranty?  This other stuff concerns me, but end of warranty for a brand new device is a little more disconcerting to me at the moment.  I don't like the other, believe me, but more pressing is the need to understand if this is a glitch, or if I've been played the fool by the seller.  I saw this before I purchased... maybe I don't understand it:

NOTE:  Server Warranty includes 1 year Next Day Parts replacement, 0-Years Labor, 0-Years Onsite support.

Joe_Miner

If I'm understanding you correctly, You don't download the trial Essentials License and you Don't download it => the iLO4 license is included in the Gen8 -- the Basic is there.  When you post there will be a web address in the lower left after iLO -- enter that web address into a web browser on you home network or even on your Gen8's web browser -- you'll get a warning that there's a problem wit this website's security certificate, ignore that and click on "Continue to this website (not recommended)." and it will take you to the iLO4 HP ProLiant Firmware Version 1.3x and its address -- sign on screen.  Look at the little tan card that was attached to the back of your Gen8 that is labled iLO Default Network Setting.  for the sign on screen user name type in the user name on that card (mine said Administrator) for password on the sign on screen type in the password on the card xxxxxxxx and you're in.

If you want more than the basic functionality of the preinstalled iLO4 on your Gen8 you will need to find an Advanced License -- check the Gen8 Links page -- there's lots of links there to places you can get an Advanced license which is basically a key that you go into your iLO4 basic and enter the key and it opens the Advanced features.

iLO4 (basic) works right out of the box ............

Dennis

iLO4 (basic) works right out of the box ............

Okay.  But am I out of warranty?  Or am I not understanding what "Expired" means in this context?

schoondoggy

On pages 6 and 7 of this PDF there is a comparison of the different versions of iLo 4.

h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA4-5167ENW.pdf

iLo standard comes for free. 

The trial license you downloaded will show warranty expired, because there is no warranty on trial product.

I would remove the Essentials trial license and update everything. Play with iLo and see if there are advanced features you want.

Many of us are running iLo Advanced with eBay purchased keys.

www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=ilo+advanced+key&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xilo+advanced&_nkw=ilo+advanced&_sacat=0

Helzy

Anyone buy from the dude from the Russian Federation?

schoondoggy

I think I bought from this guy:

www.ebay.com/itm/512485-B21-512519-021-SEALED-SPARE-HP-ILO-ADVANCED-PK-SINGLE-SVR-/110897570685?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d202a37d

He will email the codes if you prefer.

cskenney
snip....

Now I want to try iLO.  So I got the trial Essentials license and installed it.  Then I went to the HP site http://www.hp.com/go/iLO to get the latest firmware.  That site requested a serial number, which I did provide.  But after entering that S/N, I get the following disappointing information:

Warranty status i.png
Expired
End date:

SN: MX23....GK

HP will not allow me to download anything, including iLO firmware updates, since the warranty has expired.  I didn't even know these have been out long enough that any units' warranty would be expired.  Is this correct?  I only ordered it recently (granted, not from HP).  Am I misstepping here?  Any advice at all?

...snip

snip....

The trial license you downloaded will show warranty expired, because there is no warranty on trial product.

I would remove the Essentials trial license and update everything. Play with iLo and see if there are advanced features you want.

....snip

The original post mentions he had to register and supply his serial number.  Is the warranty expired notice still referring to iLO or his system?

Seems to me you could call HP customer service and they could tell you immediately the warranty status of the server.