RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Observations During a "Skip Domain" Join to WSE 2012R2

jmwills

My overseas adventures are now over so I spent this week catching up on Essentials R2 and made an interesting observation while trying to use the skip domain registry entry.  My new laptop is running Windows 8.1 and at the time I had both the wireless and wired connections enabled and the laptop kept joining the domain even though all my registry entries were correct.

The problem, as I discovered, was that I could only have one connection active and make the workaround succeed.  In my case I chose to let the wired connection stay active, meaning I turned off the wireless NIC, and once I did that the connector install proceeded as designed and I stayed within my work group.  DNS was not affected.

I also wanted to check a restore to a secondary drive so what I did was to take a bare drive and create the System Reserved and Windows © partitions, use a USB docking station connected to the server and pointed the restore to the USV connected drive.  About 15 minutes later we were good to go.  I'm still not quite ready to move over to Essentials full time but at least I know some of the questions in my mind have been answered.

Ever since I first installed an SSD into my main desktop Win7 computer, I've found that I have to pre-create the partitions before doing a Restore from my WHS2011. I do NOT format them, or give them drive letters -- I've had the Restore fail if I do. Even if the partitions already exist on the target drive, I have to delete and re-create the partitions without formatting. The symptom of a failure is that the restore fails quite early in the process.