RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP DC5750s Desktop PC AMD Sempron 1.86GHz, 2GB DDR2 80GB HDD Capacity Windows 7 Home 32 bit $89.99

schoondoggy

I think you would want more than 2GB of memory for untangle.

Check pages 7-8 in the PDF, lots of CPU choices and memory can go to 8GB if you want to upgrade.

I think you would want more than 2GB of memory for untangle.

Check pages 7-8 in the PDF, lots of CPU choices and memory can go to 8GB if you want to upgrade.

schoondoggy, thanks for the advice!  would really like to grab one of these to build an untangle box. I currently run pfsense on a Supermicro ITX motherboard with an integrated D525 Atom CPU and 4GB RAM.

I looked at pcdoc's Untangle build thread ( Was going to match his build 1:1.  Unfortunately many of the components either are unavailable or cost more due to availability.

Would be awesome if someone in the forums that's already running Untangle could recommend either:

1.) parts to build out a current Untangle box (+ additional dual Intel NIC gigabit card)

2.) a CPU and RAM upgrade for this discounted HP box (also an additional NIC even?)

3.) SFF would be ideal but not required

I have a habit of building overkill boxes and want to check myself.  Will move to a new thread if necessary.  Thanks!

Just found a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P with an old Intel Q9550 Quad CPU, 8 GB RAM and 2 Gigabit LAN ports on my workbench. Already have a case, HDD, PSU. Only this doesn't have integrated video so I could add a small low power ATI HA4550 card to it.

Else I have an old AMD 4850e HTPC system with 4 GB RAM but only 1 LAN port.

It would be a quick and easy build, not to mention use of spare parts. Would it work?

Just found a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P with an old Intel Q9550 Quad CPU, 8 GB RAM and 2 Gigabit LAN ports on my workbench. Already have a case, HDD, PSU. Only this doesn't have integrated video so I could add a small low power ATI HA4550 card to it.

Else I have an old AMD 4850e HTPC system with 4 GB RAM but only 1 LAN port.

It would be a quick and easy build, not to mention use of spare parts. Would it work?

if the lan ports are Intel or Broadcom, you should be OK. Most issues I run into are NIC related