RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Drivers & Firmware for Gen8 MicroServer

Joe_Miner

This is probably silly or more trouble than it's worth but: 

Would it be possible to use IP to load Server 2008 R2 and once it's done to then copy all of the drivers that are used and later use those drivers in loading, WHS-2011 or Win7?  (The model I had in mind is how you can load all the drivers a OS uses on to a Flash with WHS-2011 and use that Flash in reloading the OS when doing a restore)

If that would work maybe doing the same with Server 2012 R2 etc.

As screwy as HP's driver/firmware site is I don't hold much hope of getting everything I may need before the 19th.  I still haven't been able to get to a registration page to register my P222 for instance either.

Edited by Joe_Miner

And it seems unlikely HP is going to go out of their way to fix the web site before the 19th. The bean counters are probably sitting back thinking about how much money HP will make when all those people are forced to buy support contracts. Too bad they don't get that most of those people will simply abandon HP.

And it seems unlikely HP is going to go out of their way to fix the web site before the 19th. The bean counters are probably sitting back thinking about how much money HP will make when all those people are forced to buy support contracts. Too bad they don't get that most of those people will simply abandon HP.

Neither Carly (nor Meg, now) get that.  I don't know if Hurd got it or not; he wasn't there long enough, and Apotheker was a complete disaster.

Of course, the board itself has done an incredibly poor (some would say confused or even deluded) job for some time now.  I always thought Bill and Dave understood their product, their employees, and their customers all at once.  I have a hard time believing the top brass at HP get this now, and they're hobbling their best engineering talent and products with beancounter philosophies and a focus on short-term profits.

Guess we'll just have to get firmware and drivers via 'unofficial' channels, i.e. from here.

We can do a KickStarter couple buck donation apiece for one of the mods for a CarePack for their server, and they can share all of the drivers/firmware with us.  :lol:

P.S.  I'm betting that if HP doesn't backpedal, it's going to create a gray market for the drivers and firmware.

Edited by LoneWolf