RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

running essentials as VM on regular Win 2012 Server Standard

djbills

Hi all - I'm fortunate (I guess) to have been given a license of Windows 2012 Server Standard to be run on my little n54L.

Only problem is that my purpose is really much better suited for Essentials - small design company and we really only need this server to support roaming profiles and some other windows things, not even as a main fileserver (have a synology set up already for that).  way less than 25 users.  dozen or so.  So I'd rather not spend the money on CALs, added IT overhead, etc.

But I've read you can run regular server standard and us a VM slot for Essentials and kind of get the best of both.

I'm a Win Server newbie and wondering if you all might know of a guide or step by step that can help me get this going?  I'm having a hard time coming up with anything - I might be searching for the wrong terms.

Thanks in advance.

I think you're correct about Essentials. From what I recall, to set up Essentials on your server, you simply go into the Server Manager, click on the Roles option and select the Essentials Experience Role. This is, or course, after setting up WS2012.

One caveat: do you have a licence for the original WS2012 or is it for WS2012r2? I believe only r2 has the Essentials Experience Role. Also, I believe that CALs are required when using Essentials Experience. Here's a link so some info: http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/3/9/F39124F7-0177-463C-8A08-582463F96C9D/Windows_Server_2012_R2_Licensing_Datasheet.pdf

The way I understood it, if you run the essentials role from standard, you still have to have CALs.  But if I understand correclty, if I virtualize Essentials (and not run it as a role) I don't need the CALs.  Standard can run 2 VM slots.

I do have a license for the original 2012 but I thought I read that they work for 2012 R2 or that it was a covered upgrade.  the doc you linked makes it sound like you need some sort of "SA" maintenance contract so who knows...     I've just got a fresh install of r2 and it's still in evaluation, so I've not tried my license yet.  I should really do that before I go much further!  :)

apparently the standard license will work for the essentials edition running in VM mode?  I have yet to verify but that's what I read.

complicated!

Edited by djbills

Agreed about testing out the licence.

My understanding is different: I read that enabling the Essentials Experience Role actually uses up 1 of the 2 VM slots. Also, if you're not going to use the Essentials Experience Role, how are you going to install Essentials? WSE2012r2 costs somewhere around $400 - $500. Yes, it comes pre-CAL'd, but it's a lot more money than WHS2011.

As for 2012(R2) essentials? You download the Eval ISO. It's a full image. 

As for how to set this up from a license standpoint.... I'm not sure.

Discounting the license issue, I have both 2012 and 2012 R2 running as VM's on a 2012 Standard host. I have one client connected to the R2 server and backups run just fine. Anywhere Access is enabled on the 2012 Essentials server and I can access it by modifying the bindings in IIS, since I have a physical WhHs 2011 box running on the same LAN.

No issues for me.