RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

iis on second server

Guest techyguyni

Guest techyguyni

Hi Guys

In a way its back to my original issue with iis.

Breakdown: server 1 - server 2012 r2 essentials and server 2 - server 2012 standard r2, Personal domain name from domain register www.mydomainname.com - a record created and @ record created as well as forwarding, all point to my wan ip address.

server 1 has all services running, dhcp dns ect as they should be, server 2 which is a new server has nothing apart from iis installed.

My question is this: I want to host my website on server 2 but i want to view it from the internet, the problem i have is when i visit www.mydomainname.com it displays my wan ip address in the url bar, i want it to keep the www.mydomainname.com url and not show my wan ip address to the public, Now I no it can be found out anyway but i need it to show my persoanl domain name.

do i need to create forward lookup zone and reverse lookup zones pointing to server 2 from server 1 dns snapin? if so how, i dont know what details to put in if i should do this.

any help greatly appreciated

thanks 

Depending on how the domain name was setup...

It was a "A Name" record, right? If so, then it resolves to the IP, but connects on that "host name".

(for instance, drashna.net resolves to my internet connections' IP address, but you always see drashna.net).

As for the "@" record, I believe that's just redirecting to the IP address and that sounds like that's not what you want.

As for accessing server 2 from server 1's website: Reverse Proxy. Set that up.

Guest techyguyni

got it all up and running, i installed server 2008 r2 on server 2, i setup dns and added forward rules then on server 1 setup pointers to server 2 address and port forwarded on my router, all is good and working

Edited by techyguyni

Yes, it basically while.

The way around is creating a secondary port forwarding config and hope it works

That said, I'm really loving Sophos UTM (free for home use), because it has a built in reverse proxy website. So your router takes care of it. Completely. So if you're router is done... you'd be f***ed anyways.

Guest techyguyni

I ve created a secondry IP4V Configuration. when the essentials server go's down iam hoping the secondry config will kickin so it will pic up the dns of the router? maybe not work, havent tryed it yet