RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Server 2008 R2 is not supported in Vail, but works fine in current WHS

tinkererguy

For MSDN members, developing and testing under different OSs is a huge plus, sometimes on native hardware (not virtual machines). It was therefore quite disappointing to notice that in Vail, you can't backup Windows 2008 R2 systems. I also tried the original non-R2 versions, both 32 and 64 bit versions give the same error, but used to work fine.

This is definitely going to be a pain point, especially since WHS has been such a wonderful part of MSDN membership, making me reluctant to jump in with both feet when Vail becomes GA code.

This issue, it turns out, has already been reported on Microsoft Connect Vail feedback:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/554244/unable-to-install-windows-home-server-vail-connector-on-windows-server-2008-r2

Curious if others out there will also miss the ability to backup up 2008 test boxes?

My title should have read:
Windows Server 2008 & 2008 R2 connector installation and backup is not supported in Vail, but works fine in current WHS

(but I can't seem to edit it)

Sorry about that!

That's unfortunate. I'd definitely use Vail to backup my Server 2008 R2 systems if it was available.