RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

whs console stops working when I change the rdp port

Ken

To be able to initiate a manual backup from any client.

Currently it works for whs 2011 clients, but not for whs v1 clients since I can not start the connector.

So we have two separate sets of clients?  You have over complicated this as can you have multiple servers on the same LAN use RDP and port 3389 (I have six).  Your issue is remote access where IIS needs to be bound to an alternate port.  Just put the alternate port number at the end of the URL.

As jmwills is alluding, you don't change the port # of your RDP Server; you use your router to remap other port numbers to 3389 on the server you want to connect to.

Let's say you have 3 computers that you want to RDP into. Let's agree that, from the Internet, we're going to use ports 3389, 4389, and 5389. Let's further agree that your servers have IPs of 192.168.1.50, 192.168.1.60, and 192.168.1.70.

What you do is go into your router and configure it so that

• packets coming in on port 3389 are rerouted to 192.168.1.50, port 3389
  • packets coming in on port 4389 are rerouted to 192.168.1.60, port 3389
  • packets coming in on port 5389 are rerouted to 192.168.1.70, port 3389

From a computer on the Internet, you would start up RDP and enter: <mydomainname>:3389 or <mydomainname>:4389, or <mydomainname>:5389, depending on which server you want to contact.

The beauty of this technique is you don't have to make any changes to your servers, and you can even use port 3389 for all the connections while inside your LAN.

Note: it is remotely possible that your router doesn't have this feature, but it would be quite unusual as almost all of them have it these days.

I think I finally got it.

All I had to do was:

1/ Change the port back to 3389 on my whs v1. Now the console program works!

2/ Configure the router to forward external 3396 to internal 3389 for whs v1. This gives me RDP access both home servers from the outside world.

Thanks for your help

I think I finally got it.

All I had to do was:

1/ Change the port back to 3389 on my whs v1. Now the console program works!

2/ Configure the router to forward external 3396 to internal 3389 for whs v1. This gives me RDP access both home servers from the outside world.

Thanks for your help

Did you figure it out on your own, or use my guide?

I actually figured it out on my own. I did not see your post until after I submitted my solution.

But your explanation and the way I solved it matched perfectly.

Again, Thanks for helping me out.