RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

G1610T v G1620T differences

scorpydude

Apart from CPU what is the differences between the G1610T and the G1620T ?

Do they have the same motherboard/heat-sink and case?

I want to get a Gen8 server, upgrade it to 4 cores, 16GB of RAM and chuck vmware on it. I'm wondering what would be the best bang for buck to achieve this?

Cheers

I want to get a Gen8 server, upgrade it to 4 cores, 16GB of RAM and chuck vmware on it. I'm wondering what would be the best bang for buck to achieve this?

You may want to rethink that strategy now that HP is planning to drastically change its firmware download policy: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7099-hps-new-rules-to-access-firmware-driver-downloads/

I realize the Microserver community is pissed that HP changed their firmware download policy, but is that really reason to boycot a good product ? That seams a little much to me...

So if my plan is to upgrade the CPU and Memory anyway, I should just pick the cheaper of the two G1610T and the G1620T ? That would be the one that comes with the Celeron processor right ? By about $100 AUD

So if my plan is to upgrade the CPU and Memory anyway, I should just pick the cheaper of the two G1610T and the G1620T ? That would be the one that comes with the Celeron processor right ? By about $100 AUD

That's what I'd do.

I realize the Microserver community is pissed that HP changed their firmware download policy, but is that really reason to boycot a good product ? That seams a little much to me...

For many people this is a deal breaker. I had been thinking about getting a MicroServer, but not any more. Remember, without these files, your computer is little more than an expensive metal brick. OTOH, if the server works for your purpose right from the start, and you don't need any future updates because it's just going to sit there doing its job for a number of years, then it probably doesn't matter -- after 5 years or so you're likely just going to toss it out anyway.

That's what I'd do.

Thanks mate! 

For many people this is a deal breaker. I had been thinking about getting a MicroServer, but not any more. Remember, without these files, your computer is little more than an expensive metal brick. OTOH, if the server works for your purpose right from the start, and you don't need any future updates because it's just going to sit there doing its job for a number of years, then it probably doesn't matter -- after 5 years or so you're likely just going to toss it out anyway.

And you don't think that people who are still within warranty period on their Microserver will be sharing the Drivers and Firmware they still have access to with the wider community? - LOL. Of course they will. Remember you have 1-3 years warranty when you buy the thing and can get on HP no worries to get what you need.

I get why your disappointing with this change by HP but it's really irreverent, trying to protest by posting info like this and discouraging people from buying a product for this reason is IMO useless because it's not like HP will read this post by you and think "OMG SOMEONE ON THE INTERNET IS SAYING THEY MIGHT NOT BUY OUR PRODUCT, QUICK UNDO THE POLICY CHANGE". It's just not going to happen.

If you want to protest about it then don't buy their product - sure. I however think the Drivers and Firmware for the Microservers will be "acquired" and shared around the net to the people with a current warranty with or without a "legal" allowance for people to do that. Just like every form of prohibition - it never works.

I'm not saying the way you feel is wrong or not to protest the new HP policy, i'm just saying it's a little much for you to boycott a product over this policy LOL. It's hardly a "brick" just because you don't get the latest firmware and drivers. You have two options, don't take advantage of any new driver/firmware features (or bugfixes) or just buy another years warranty for $120. There are always plenty of work arounds to problems that newer firmwares correct - such as people booting from smaller partitions then 3GB etc.

I really think it's a non-issue. Welcome to how enterprise IT has worked since time immemorial.

Edited by scorpydude

You misunderstand me. I'm not protesting. I simply stated that I'm no longer considering a MicroServer in my future. I agree that people will find ways to make the files available -- it may actually be part of HP's tactics -- at least that way they won't have to deal with the support calls. So, it's not a protest, simply a statement of facts as they are.

BTW, I've worked in enterprise IT for more than 40 years. ;)