RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 8.1 backup does not include SD card

Ken

AdaBuckeye

Ken - update - my backup failed.  It successfully backed up the shortcut to the SDCard which the "mounting" procedure created, but when I opened my backup files all I find is the shortcut link, size 0 bytes, with no content.

Looking forward to your reply.

Al_Borges

I have a Dell Venue 8 tablet and experienced much the same problem -   neither of my go to backups methods ( windows system image or Acronis)  would do a complete backup

The only thing that worked was the "Dell Backup and Restore Utility"  Dell desperately wants to sell you cloud storage but there is an option to backup ( separately)  the system and the "data and drivers"

You can backup to either bootable USB keys or ISO images.  Does ASUS provide something similar. ?

AdaBuckeye

Ken (and now Al),

I have figured this out, at least for my Windows 7 laptop.  I went to "Computer Management" and then "Disk Management" and selected "More Actions" and "Create VHD", which means Virtual Hard Drive.  After "creating" it I had to "attach" it, then "initialize" it and FINALLY it appeared in my computer as a logical drive and my Windows Home Server software automatically notified me that my computer had a new HDD which needed to be added to my backup plan.  I assume this will work for both of you in your situations.  I am pressed for time at the moment or I would supply screen shots.

Give it a go and good luck!

AdaBuckeye

Ken & Al,

Scratch my comments above.  Upon reboot, the VHD disappears.

Would love some suggestions from either of you if you have had better luck.

Al_Borges

Again, the only backup success I have had is with the dedicated utility that came with my Dell Venue Pro with windows 8.1

A quick perusal of the Asus website shows they may have something similar   -  they call it  "ASUS Backtracker"

Even if you could somehow cull a backup image out of the machine -  it would be useless unless you can restore it. 

I know mine works as I have tested it