RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 8.1 backup does not include SD card

Ken

I have a ASUS Transformer book T100, which by the way is an absolutely fantastic device.

I finally got the backup to WHS 2011 to work, after installing the hotfix 2781272. However, it only backs up the C: drive, and not the SD card.

When I try to configure the backup, the SD card does not even show up as a drive.

Anybody run into the same issue? Thank.

The Storage vs Backup question. Was that when I inserted the card for the very first time? If so I do not remember.

If I remove/insert the card now, I do not get any question.

When it comes to fixed vs removable storage. I am able to backup external USB attached drives (at least to whs v1), but may be that is considered a fixed drive? 

If I get a USB-SD card adapter, anybody thinks that will work for backup?

Wish I could remember where to find it, but I believe there are utilities that can change the way a removable device is interpreted. I know there is one for USB flash drives, so I suspect there might be one for SD cards.

I suspect your best chance for a successful backup using that strategy would be to create a folder under ServerFolders. I don't think I would do it using the DashBoard though. I would create the folder using Windows Explorer from a keyboard attached to the server or through an RDP session.

First, the way I tried to mount an SD card did not work. The mount itself worked but it did not help my backup.

Can you elaborate a little bit on your suggestion to create a folder. I do not think I understand exactly what you are suggesting, and how it would work.

Also, earlier you talked about a utility for USB flash drives. Do you think that was similar to what I did for the SD card, or was it a totally different approach?

• 1 year later...

Ken - are you still looking for a fix to this?  I just encountered the problem and am working on it myself.  Would love to know if you found a solution before I run in circles.

I have attempted the method suggested above, which you said failed for you (backup is in process and I'll check to efficacy when complete).  Should that fail, I have checked into other alternatives.

FYI, I'm on this path at the moment: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/494943/using-an-sd-card-as-permanent-storage/, which seems to take the additional step of "adding to libraries"

I hope to hear from you.