RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 8.1 backup does not include SD card

Ken

I have a ASUS Transformer book T100, which by the way is an absolutely fantastic device.

I finally got the backup to WHS 2011 to work, after installing the hotfix 2781272. However, it only backs up the C: drive, and not the SD card.

When I try to configure the backup, the SD card does not even show up as a drive.

Anybody run into the same issue? Thank.

IIRC, the backup mechanism will only detect fixed storage and not removable storage.  So that's a no go on the SD card.

The Storage vs Backup question. Was that when I inserted the card for the very first time? If so I do not remember.

If I remove/insert the card now, I do not get any question.

When it comes to fixed vs removable storage. I am able to backup external USB attached drives (at least to whs v1), but may be that is considered a fixed drive? 

If I get a USB-SD card adapter, anybody thinks that will work for backup?

Go to the server dashboard and modify the backup settings for that device. Neither of my laptops allow the ability to backup their SD cards.

Wish I could remember where to find it, but I believe there are utilities that can change the way a removable device is interpreted. I know there is one for USB flash drives, so I suspect there might be one for SD cards.

I suspect your best chance for a successful backup using that strategy would be to create a folder under ServerFolders. I don't think I would do it using the DashBoard though. I would create the folder using Windows Explorer from a keyboard attached to the server or through an RDP session.

First, the way I tried to mount an SD card did not work. The mount itself worked but it did not help my backup.

Can you elaborate a little bit on your suggestion to create a folder. I do not think I understand exactly what you are suggesting, and how it would work.

Also, earlier you talked about a utility for USB flash drives. Do you think that was similar to what I did for the SD card, or was it a totally different approach?

• 1 year later...
AdaBuckeye

Ken - are you still looking for a fix to this?  I just encountered the problem and am working on it myself.  Would love to know if you found a solution before I run in circles.

I have attempted the method suggested above, which you said failed for you (backup is in process and I'll check to efficacy when complete).  Should that fail, I have checked into other alternatives.

FYI, I'm on this path at the moment: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/494943/using-an-sd-card-as-permanent-storage/, which seems to take the additional step of "adding to libraries"

I hope to hear from you.