RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
PetieG

P410 (512) in Gen8 Microserver

jmannik

PetieG, HP Smart Array controllers are fantastic for being able to move arrays from one controller to the next. I would suggest you take a backup and then try it, as long as the raid level is supported it should work well.

I have moved from a P600(PCI-X) to a P400(PCI-E) then finally to a P410(PCI-E) without having to rebuild my arrays.

PetieG

Wow, you guys are brilliant and much braver than me!  I will definitely try this on my newly built, non-production server (for now).  Thanks, I'll let you know. 

schoondoggy

Thanks guys... Just (right now) did the driver backtrack to the prior version... I don't know personally, but i wonder if i'd be able to swap out the P410 w/ a P222 and use the built-in as well w/out losing data.  Hahahaha!!  I'm funny!  I do have that new server that i haven't started migrating to, so i may try it.  I understand the RAID is actually kept on the disks and not really the controller ... But going from one two channel controller to 2 different cards seems impossible to do w/out a rebuild/loss of data.  

P410 to P222 definitely works, P410 to B120i is not supported, but I have had it work on a single RAID0 drive.

SchoonDoggy, weren't you the one that tested the Smart Array P421 in the Microserver Gen8 as well?

I know HP doesn't list it as supported, but it has the two ports needed, and if I recall correctly, it is also recognized by iLO.

Petie:  I myself am using a 4-drive RAID-5 on my P222, and a 256GB SSD (soon to be two of them) on my B120i controller as my boot drive.  It works without issue. and is considered a fully supported solution.

I have run the P222, P420 and P421 in the Gen8. If I remember correctly, they all worked fine. I don't remember if the P420 and P421 showed in iLo.

I need to have Joe_Miner teach me how to document the work I do.

PetieG

Thanks guys... I really appreciate it.  I've been doing IT work for 25+ years and really have never dove in or participated much in online forums, and i find this one very helpful and chock full of really good, solid information.  No trolling, no immaturity just good ole IT guys chatting and trying to get to the bottom of things or trying to find the most cost-effective route for their IT needs.  I like Spiceworks.com as well but the whole rating/points thing turns me off as that's what i'm not interested it.  

I will make it a point to frequent here more than usual and I feel I can learn and can help folks who deal w/ the home/SMB IT market.  Thanks again for your assistance -- here's to hoping my client's server doesn't reboot ~9PM tonight... I did the downgrade last night just after it DID reboot (was out doing personal things) so i have one more day to wait!  

Gurv4n

P410 to P222 definitely works, P410 to B120i is not supported, but I have had it work on a single RAID0 drive.

I have run the P222, P420 and P421 in the Gen8. If I remember correctly, they all worked fine. I don't remember if the P420 and P421 showed in iLo.

I need to have Joe_Miner teach me how to document the work I do.

I confirm that my P421 is working and showing fine in iLO.

• Like 1

PetieG

Good to know, thanks.  I'm gonna have to purchase the P222 if I want to be able to utilize the HP support (Grrrr).  I'm really disappointed that a perfectly good, 3 (?) year old, "still available" product won't work isn't supported in the Gen8 Microserver.  Maybe if they actually had other options for supported cards or really, just more than one, this wouldn't be a problem. Big, Stupid HP!  Oh well, you live you learn... 

Does the internal B120i need the 512MB BBWC for a RAID 1 (or was that just for RAID5) ?   I remembered on the NL40 if you put in an add-in PCI RAID card it HAD to be the boot drive thus the 2-internal channel P410 I've ordered for two Gen8's. Doh!

LoneWolf

To paraphrase Bill Clinton, "it depends on what your definition of "works" is."

The P410 works just fine in the HP Microserver Gen8.  So do the P212 (forerunner of the P222), the P222, and the P421 (replacement for the P410).

The P212 and the P410 are not supported by HP, and are not visible in iLO for management, but they generally work just fine, though you miss out on some great new Gen8-specific features (in addition to iLO support, they aren't recognized in HP's new Intelligent Provisioning feature which replaces the offline version of the HP Array Configuration Utility, which you had to boot from CD to use)

The P421 is visible in iLO for management, but HP does not support it (likely because the Gen8 is considered a small-business server).  It also works in Intelligent Provisioning from what I'm told (I haven't tested it, but I'm reasonably confident there).

The P222 is visible in iLO for managment, *and* HP supports it, and it works with Intelligent Provisioning.

Looking back, HP really didn't support (as far as I know) *any* Smart Array cards officially in the Gen7 Microservers (N36L/N40L/N54L) even though they worked, so I suppose this would be an improvent.  And the Gen7 servers used a Remote Access Card rather than iLO --it didn't recognize any controllers specifically, it was much more of a basic IP-KVM with a couple of extra features.  To sum up, your P410 controller will work --you'll just miss out on a lot of cool things you'd get with a P222 or P421, and if you're running the server in a true business environment that requires real IT support from HP, the P222 is the way to go.

P.S.  Unlike some other Gen8 servers, the B120i controller on the Microserver does not support a cache module, even though there are some misleading bits of the design that make it look like it would be.  However, not a huge deal for RAID-0/1 like it is with RAID-5/6/etc.

Edited by LoneWolf

tangcla

If fan noise isn't a concern for you, the P410 will work fine in the Gen8. I was doing this before I bought the P222. You'll need the 2008R2 driver for it, and all will work fine.

You'll also need the 2008R2 driver for the P222 too.

PetieG

Thanks guys... I'm leaving the original Gen8 w/ the P410 untouched as it's in production already.  The second one I've built for a client was just built, so i swapped out the 410 for the 222 and it re-installed beautifully (tricky USB key discovery tho)...  (now if i can only get a low profile adapter for it as my order didn't include one, don't ask!).  I wiped all data on both arrays but that didn't really matter as it was not in production, only a domain member (actually it was a DC, but after calling HP and being refused support because of the 'unsupported' P410, i un-promoted it.  All is well.  NOTE: HP seems to have fixed that racing condition causing my daily BSOD which i just installed today, so there is hope!  (the backdated drivers, as noted above worked fine as well). I just installed the latest drivers, so i'll see what happens over the next few days.  Version 62.28.0.64 (18 Feb 2014) "Fixed errors occuring with 62.26.0.64 version which included a possible bluescreen or system hang when running I/O on Windows Server 2012. "  (They are Win2012 (&R2) drivers now too!)

Joe_Miner

My P222 only came with the full height bracket too.  I ended up having to make my own low profile bracket with my trusty Dremel................

gallery_1229_80_4850.jpg

Edited by Joe_Miner