RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ASUS H77I-PLUS Mini-ITX Mobo + WHS 2011?

bondisdead

I was bought the ASUS H77I-PLUS mini-itx motherboard, as it appeared to be a perfect fit for a Haswell based WHS 2011 system. It has Intel Gigabit LAN, six SATA3 ports, on-board USB 3.0 and four rear USB 3.0 ports. Unfortunately, I cannot get the Intel i217-V Ethernet drivers to install. I have tried all ways I have researched to work around the blocking of their installation since Server 2008 R2 is not a supported OS. Tried compatibility mode, hacking INF files, allowing Device Manager to find the drivers, etc. No luck! I have read of a few success stories, but others like me that have been unlucky.

Has anybody had success getting the Intel i271-V drivers installed for WHS 2011 (or similar) for this board? If so, what was your methodology? TIA.

I had a very similar issue with my Haswell.  I was able to go to drill down to the "setup.exe" not the AsusSetup.exe and get to work.  That said, the "easiest" thing to do is to get a standard Intel NIC card as they are auto detected.  The Intel card in Haswell is a different generation and requires special drivers.

I tried a few different things, including what you suggested. I eventually found a blog that solved it for Server 2012. I was able to apply the same methodology, except for WHS 2011. It involved hacking the INF file corresponding to Win7/Server2008R2 (NDIS62), as well as disabling driver integrity checks. I am happy to report that I got it all working! Whew...

• Like 1

I'm confused. You say, "got it all working", but before that you said, "except for WHS2011". So did you get it to work with WHS2011 or not? If you did, I think it would be great to post what you did here so others can benefit.

I had the same issues with my ASUS Gryphon X87 motherboard and it does indeed work. I am now trying to find a workaround for getting my USB 3.0 ports to work since the supplied drivers do not work for a server OS. I really do not know why Intel cares who buys what MB or what OS but as I understand it, Intel is the one who is limiting the drivers.

Here is the link I followed to get it working

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1772066

If anyone has an idea as to how to get my USB ports working, please let me know.

Thanks

Don

The reason that they care, is because they have different divisions for different product types, and they don't want to "mix" them together. Different goals, and such for different product types. (if this reads like "lazy", it shouldn't, but it ... should).

But consumer products are more prone to issues.... and installing a Server OS to consumer hardware is more likely to have issues. Especially if the hardware isn't thoroughly tested (this part being key, really)