RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ser_rhaegar

Affordable HP SmartMemory

ser_rhaegar

Note: I'm not affiliated with HP or this eBay seller.

While looking for a 16GB RAM upgrade for my new Gen8, I came across this eBay listing for the HP SmartMemory 8GB modules:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111256389047

The price was pretty similar to buying Kingston or another brand but I was a bit nervous that it was fake. After debating for a little while I ended up taking the plunge and buying the RAM. It came in yesterday. Boxes were sealed and everything looked genuine. I installed them in my Gen8 and booted it up. They were properly detected as HP parts with SmartMemory enabled. No more iLO alerts about non-smartmemory RAM (my old 4GB modules were Crucial brand).

Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who is interested in the SmartMemory modules. Keep in mind these are refurbs and come with a 1 year warranty, not lifetime like other brands. Though if you buy the Care Pack for your server, they will be covered under that (I checked with my HP rep at work before buying them).

2014-02-10 19.08.02.png

2014-02-10 17.03.08-resized2.jpg

Edited by ser_rhaegar

NateN34

Running 2x 4 GB Crucial with no problem at the moment. What is the benefit to using "Smart Memory"?

To me it just seems like more marketing bull from HP and an excuse to overprice their RAM.

psikey

"Intelligently" reduces power use I think. So a % of a watt !! :)

Oh..........And you get a tick against it in iLO4.

Edited by psikey

ser_rhaegar

Running 2x 4 GB Crucial with no problem at the moment. What is the benefit to using "Smart Memory"?

To me it just seems like more marketing bull from HP and an excuse to overprice their RAM.

Same price I was going to spend and I no longer get iLO emails at boot about the RAM. /shrug Just thought I'd share due to the price. If you already have RAM it isn't worth it but if you were going to buy RAM, might be something to consider.

tangcla

I don't get emails about non-SmartMemory - I'm using a Kingston 8GB stick along with the original 2GB that came with the G8.

LoneWolf

If you don't have AlertMail configured on the iLO, you probably won't get the errors.  I am thinking the OP is using AlertMail.

I'm using Kingston as well in my case, and iLO shows them as not being SmartMemory.  The price listed in the auction though is reasonable, and even has a "Make Offer" option.  If I hadn't already done the memory upgrade for my server, I'd certainly give this a go.

Edited by LoneWolf

ser_rhaegar

Correct, I have alert mail configured in iLo.