RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

AMD Radeon HD 3470 in Gen8: Trying today

riahc3

One of the old PCs here had a SSF case with a low profile PCI-E video card, a AMD Radeon HD 3470. Since the PC that replaces it is standard, it has no use anymore here and since I have a microserver with one pci-e slot empty....well :P

Im gonna try it out and report back on if it is understood by the Gen8 and if it is useable.

Just some quick info:

This card was released on January 23, 2008.

It is a legacy card considered by AMD (current drivers do not support it, this included WS2012R2)

Supports up to Direct3D 10.0

Ill see if it can replace the integrated GPU.

More coming up in about 3 hours! :)

Trying remote console does not give video output it seems on the remote console. Only POST. Odd as I would except it to work with and without a addon video card.

Is this configurable?

The video chip on the microserver gen 8, Mattox, is built into the iLo chip. Your second video card may be conflicting with it after boot.

The video chip on the microserver gen 8, Mattox, is built into the iLo chip. Your second video card may be conflicting with it after boot.

(glitch with the forum: Hit Ctrl+F5 and says that this has 0 replies.)

Anyways, its built in but can it be set to use a secondary video card? Im not sure if thats technically possible but...

From what I've read, if you use an add-in GPU you loose the ability of remote console via iLO4. (I tend to connect by Windows RDP myself anyway).

:UPDATE:

Found it, it was mentioned here by the HP chap: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/page-3#entry66354

"The Matrox is actually embedded in the iLO chip.   There's no way to route the Intel chipset graphics.   You can, of course, use a graphics card in the slot (it's a x16), but you will loose the remote graphical console capability that is enabled by the iLO Essentials or Advanced licenses."

Edited by psikey

From what I've read, if you use an add-in GPU you loose the ability of remote console via iLO4. (I tend to connect by Windows RDP myself anyway).

:UPDATE:

Found it, it was mentioned here by the HP chap: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/page-3#entry66354

"The Matrox is actually embedded in the iLO chip.   There's no way to route the Intel chipset graphics.   You can, of course, use a graphics card in the slot (it's a x16), but you will loose the remote graphical console capability that is enabled by the iLO Essentials or Advanced licenses."

That really sucks. Remote console should use the onboard either way and only if you plug something into the display of the PCI-E should it be used.

While it would be a nice bonus to be able to do this, we are talking low end boxes here -- there's only so much that can be built in. That said, the recent change to the HP firmware download policy makes me suspicious that HP won't even have a Gen9 MicroServer, in which case the whole issue would be moot.

That really sucks. Remote console should use the onboard either way and only if you plug something into the display of the PCI-E should it be used.

Many if not all servers integrate their onboard video with IPMI or remote access/lights-out features.  On other server-class mainboards or servers with an iDRAC/iLO/AST onboard IPMI, it is quite possible the same thing would happen.

At any rate, a server wasn't designed to be a graphics platform, it was designed to be a server.  Adding a graphics card is most often an attempt to make a server something other than a server --and at that point, you're changing what was designed to be a tightly integrated platform in a way it wasn't designed to be used.

My N54L wouldn't take the higher-TDP cards, though I've read reports of others' success. The 3470 GPU's max is sometimes listed under the 25W* PCIe threshold, while others spec it above 30W (generally for TDP Radeon xx70 > xx50). Extending that design logic the Gen8 might be economizing on the power driving the sole expansion slot. However that is still a low-power card, no extra 12v connector, so my money's on a BIOS setting conflict somewhere

* There is nothing "standard" about this m/b limit, only that most non-graphics adapters aren't drawing >30W

Edited by hsw