RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How swapping drives

riahc3

Has anyone tried hot swapping drives even though it isn't supported? I think this is more of a iLO issue because the SATA standard has to support native hotswapping...

Yes, using the built-in B120i controller  set to AHCI mode; drive removal was reported but re-insertion wasn't until after rebooting. Note this was under Solaris 11.1 and its stock generic/LSI drivers which don't rescan the SATA bus (or not automatically at any rate).

I don't know the behavior of same under Windows either using MS or HP drivers, but suspect the hardware backplane may be an impediment. Somewhere I read an HP employee say that it's not electrically equipped to do hot-swap -- even though that is more or less inherent on the drive side if it uses a standard connector with the staged power pins.

Edited by hsw

Yes, using the built-in B120i controller  set to AHCI mode; drive removal was reported but re-insertion wasn't until after rebooting. Note this was under Solaris 11.1 and its stock generic/LSI drivers which don't rescan the SATA bus (or not automatically at any rate).

I don't know the behavior of same under Windows either using MS or HP drivers, but suspect the hardware backplane may be an impediment. Somewhere I read an HP employee say that it's not electrically equipped to do hot-swap -- even though that is more or less inherent on the drive side if it uses a standard connector with the staged power pins.

Strangly Ubuntu 13.10 (LiveDVD) did not detect the main 1TB HDD so I wasnt able to try it out myself.

IMHO, it's risky to do things like this when they're not supported.... just sayin' :)

I have nothing on the 1TB so even if there is data lost...

Flashing modded BIOSs isn't supported either and look where that has gotten us!

Yes, but there's a huge upside to flashing the modded BIOS; not so much with Hot Swap. Sure, there is an advantage, but no where near on the same scale.

Yes, but there's a huge upside to flashing the modded BIOS; not so much with Hot Swap. Sure, there is an advantage, but no where near on the same scale.

I'd be curious to hear why HP believes a product pitched at businesses shouldn't have hot-swap drives, despite that being 1) standard in SATA and 2) standard on NAS products costing 100-200 dollars or so fewer than the Microserver. Is everyone in the office supposed to close their work then twiddle their thumbs for 10 minutes so the faulted drive can be replaced?

Until that explanation arrives I'll just assume HP cripples certain of their products to support the premium on others.

But if their marketing dept. added a prominent caveat in the promotional materials to read: "For production use in the workplace, please buy 2 Microservers & configure for HAST," well, fair enough

For the price that MicroServers sell for, I'm not surprised Hot Swap is not supported. An awful lot of compromises have to be made when designing products for these price ranges and I assume Hot Swap was 1 that just didn't make the short list.

• 2 weeks later...

For the price that MicroServers sell for, I'm not surprised Hot Swap is not supported. An awful lot of compromises have to be made when designing products for these price ranges and I assume Hot Swap was 1 that just didn't make the short list.

In the Gen7, hot swap wasnt supported either. Enabled in a hacked BIOS and bam.

I imagine it allows you to because like mention its a SATA standard. Else, it wouldnt be SATA, just a controller with a cable that and its ends has a connector that looks like SATA.

BTW, the Gen8 was boot looping checking if there was any boot media. I went ahead and took out the 1TB and put it back in. Gen8 didnt complain, freeze, etc..just kept bootlooping.

Couldnt see in iLO if it was detected or not.

Edited by riahc3