RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Getting around HP limitations on a P222 controller i.e., GPT

Helzy

Setup:

Microserver Gen8, ESXi setup on a 128GB Magnum USB key, nothing on the B120i, four 4TB reds in RAID 5 on a P222 SAC.

So I want to present the 10TB RAID disk as a data store for ESXi, however, the P222 controller presents itself as MBR style and ESXi won't make data stores larger than 2TB for MBR style partitions, not such a really big deal I suppose, however it seems to me there should be a way around this but I'm not certain how. I don't think there is anyway to have the P222 present the big fat logical volume to ESXi any other way than MBR.

Am I missing something or is this simply a P222 limitation?

Thanks!

In Windows Server I am running large GPT partitions on P222 and other HP controllers.

I am not well versed in ESXi, here is a thread;

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/326902?start=0&tstart=0

Indeed, Server 2012 would have no issue with the 10TB array as a single volume, ESXi actually sees the entire volume as well but reports it as an MBR style partition, when it isn't even a partition, it is a logical volume. Very odd.

I know there were issues with older controllers like the P400, but I did not think the P222 had any of these problems;

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2006942

Do you have the latest firmware on the P222 and latest BIOS on the Gen 8?

I read this KB yesterday as well. But it seems to be at issue with the P222 as well. I do have the latest BIOS and FW for the P222 yup.