RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hardware Firewall

Guest techyguyni

Guest techyguyni

Hi 

Just a quick thred on server security, I thinking of installing a hardware firewall onto my network for the protection of my servers, can anyone recommend a good priced hardware firewall, I currently have a router playing its part but i would like something with more options and to help me sleep a little better at night, I no nothing is 100% but i would like somthig close, bare in mind this is for home use, i would like something that will do the job at a resonable cost. any insignt / recommendations would be appreciated

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• Jason

• Poppapete

It works 'till it doesn't!  Zywall USG 20 here as well. It's a hearty firewall with VPN options.  It also has services that you can subscribe to that will run on the firewall.  Anti-Spam, Content Filter, and Anomaly Detection and Prevention.  Mapping a port through it takes more steps than a home router and there is no UPNP running on it.  Not an option for non-enthusiasts IMO.

Guest techyguyni

iam trying not to go down the line of pfsence on a box as i dont have spare parts to build it,  i tryed it some time ago, a few years ago and it never worked out for me, iam thinking about the zywall, it looks like a good option

I have deployed several of the Zyxel USG20 and USG50's to clients after hearing Dave talk about them on the podcast. All of them are rock solid, and one client is regularly using SSL VPN functionality.

I am running a pfsense box at home but have been considering a USG20.

Guest techyguyni

Great well thats that sorted, I never had any luck with running pfsence, I am thinking of a zyxel / zywell box as they are a lot lower power than a pc running pfsence, this is one majour benifit.

thanks for the advise and recommendations