RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

multi server backup server 2012 r2

Guest techyguyni

yes thats correct, the server i have wds on is a dc and my iis server is only joined to the doamin, dns dhcp come from the wds server as i dont have a dedicated wds server, i have it setup on my essentials as a service

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• jmwills

• Big Worm

Drashna Jaelre

Okay, I just wanted to make sure of that.

If that is the case, then yes, you should definitely be able to just reinstall via WDS.

Drashna Jaelre

Actually, that's the ONLY way you can "capture" a system.

Rather, you can add a "clean" image to WDS. From there, if you "deploy" it, you can enter the sysprep/audit mode after installing (at the OOBE screen, the initial windows setup screen, hit "Ctrl+Shft+F3"). Once in that mode, you can customize and update the server. Or you can just log in normally and customize stuff.  Once it's in a state that is ready to be "captured", you put it back to "clean" by selecting the "OOBE" option in the wizard that keeps popping up, or by running "sysprep /oobe".  IF this is going to go onto different hardware, you want to use the "/generalize" option.  
And to capture the image, you need to go to WDS, select a boot image and right click on it. Then select "Create Capture Image". This will export a "WIM" file. Save it, and then add it as a boot image. 

Once you've done that, boot from the capture image. You'll need a second HDD to export the image to. But the wizard will create that image and then offer to automatically import it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Would it be possible to just initiate a new install of the OS on the server and then select "Repair your computer" that appears in the lower left corner of the same screen that shows the "Install Now" screen?  You're then given the option to type in the UNC path to get to the network share containing the backed up image - presumably the network stack would be taken care of at that point...

I was hoping to use a network share for a bare metal recovery that way.