RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

multi server backup server 2012 r2

Guest techyguyni

Hi

This is my setup, server 1 (essentails 2012 r2) roles - dc, dhcp, dns. server 2 (standard 2012 r2) iis, no dhcp no dns and no dc but is joined to the dc of server 1.

each night my server 1 backs up, i have server 2 connected to server 1 via all servers tab in server managment, i would like to be able to backup server 2 from server 1, is there an easy way to do this from server 1 or do i have to configure this option in serve2.

thanks

paul

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• jmwills

• Big Worm

Guest techyguyni

Thanks for the web link, ok i just need to get one think understood, I thought when server essentials r2 was on a lan it had to be the only domain controller?

Not quite, you can have as many domain controllers as you want but only one Essentials server and it must be a dc and also hold all five FSMO roles.

Windows Server Backup can be made to work in the way you want but it does need a bit of jumping through hoops-it's geared to using external USB drives for backup (if you want incremental backups) or shares on another server (as in your case) but then it will only do full backups and overwrite the old backups each time if runs.

There is a quite elegant way round this if you want to try it but it involves creating a VHDX file on your Server1 and setting it up as an iSCSI target with an initiator running on server2 to talk to it.

John

Guest techyguyni

ok i think i ll go for the easy way and have server 2 backup to a network share on server 1, failing that ill have to look at external options, i would like it to backup to a share if its possible, also thanks for the information in regards to essentials and dc.

thanks

Drashna Jaelre

The problem with backing up to a share is that bare metal restoring is a bit more complicated. During the restore wizard, you would need to run a command prompt and initialize the network stack to get access to it.

You'd be better of with a couple of external USB drives attached to the systems.

You could restore the imsge to a USB connected drive to antvworking system. In other words, take the new drive , place in a docking station, and restore the imsge to it. Thats it.