RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Media steaming on Vail?

Loxodrome

To start, I am not running Vail.

I am very interested in Vail, but I don't have the hardware to set up as a test system, so I have no hands on experience.

Has anyone been able to use the Media Streaming capabilities in Vail? In this Video, the Silverlight media players look like a big improvement over the Twonky player I currently have. Is it at good as it looks?

Also, can Vail stream .wtv files?

-Loxodrome

Yes I have but mainly for music and WMV as minimal format support was included in the beta. Do not know about the WTV files as I do not have any. What I can tell you is what I tried worked great and there is real hope for this feature. Hopefully this will cause Twonky to be a thing of the past..

Re:streaming with Silverlight over the Internet - It's a vast! improvement over the v1/Twonky solution. For a quick test, I asked Diehard to connect and stream from my Vail test box. The results were quite favorable even though I'm on DSL with 0.66Mb/s up. He was able to stream music files pretty much instantly while we were talking over Skype. So it apparently can deal with modest bandwidth. Don't remember if we tried video because that was over a month ago, but I'm sure it'd be the same as long as I used a reasonable bit rate/rez.