RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

frankinbuild itunes server software?

jwolfera

is there anything other than firefly media server? I have been looking at itunes 9 but I have seen to many people saying they are having issues (unless you can tell me where to find a good tut to install). any other good add-ins would be welcome too. trying to mirror some of the functions on the mss and the system monitoring on the 3.0 and lenovo servers.

it's not that I don't like it, I was just wondering if there was something better. I don't like how the shared play lists cannot be synced with my iPod. Well not without moving the files to the server or mapping the iTunes folder to the server. I was really hoping to be able to get iTunes 9 working because of the home sharing and such.

I run Itunes 9 on my WHS. You have to remote desktop in to it to set it up, actually Dave gave me the link on the show :)

there is a how-to here http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5310

I never did the copy-replace step though, it worked for me just to disable the platform checks. It has worked great with the server sharing up until a day ago or so, I'm wondering if it has something to do with the 9.03 update. Gonna install that later tonight, keep you posted

Ok, so I got iTunes 9.0.2 installed, and it really wasn't that bad. The only issue that I have now is that I have set it to run as a service and when it starts I get an error that says basically that I have no sound device and it will hang there waiting for a key press to OK so it can then load. Anyone have any thoughts on how to deal with this. I have a sound card in my server but it is disabled to save on CPU cycles. I see in the services properties there is an option to run a program if the service fails to start. Would I be able to run like a batch file to do the click to get it to open? Also could someone help me with the batch file as I am not good writing them? Again, any thoughts on how to get past this would be great.

iTunes just lets you copy music to your local machine right? is there any benefit to that as opposed to just copying the music over manually to your local itunes client?