RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP's new rules to access Firmware & Driver downloads

Joe_Miner

I would assume, ECON VALUE FRT, is a level of shipping service. Behind this is there would be a carrier. In this case I assume it is USPS.

I contacted HP Support, Ana, who said they should have sent me an additional e-mail after my order confirmation e-mail to get additional info on my "machine"

She sent me a short form to fill out -- which I've now done and sent back to them and she said the "Care Pack registration team" will send me a "certificate" link in 1-3 business days

It looks like the Care Pack I should go with is HP #UR558PE which is a 1 year plan add on after the warranty has expired.  $47 on HP's site and somewhat cheaper at other locations.  Will update when I have more info/1st hand experience :)

http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.aspx?cache=896878783&culture=en-US&sku=10313297 

Was about to try CDW but being stubborn I tried it again using Chrome................

Was able to place the order in Google Chrome -- IE11 Crashes during the order

Now to see what happens and how easy this is to link to my Gen8................

Now I have an account at HP's SMB Store!!

I contacted HP Support, Ana, who said they should have sent me an additional e-mail after my order confirmation e-mail to get additional info on my "machine"

She sent me a short form to fill out -- which I've now done and sent back to them and she said the "Care Pack registration team" will send me a "certificate" link in 1-3 business days

http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.aspx?cache=896878783&culture=en-US&sku=10313297

OK, the process since has been very smooth -- HP sent me a link to my certificate the next day and they linked my UR558PE to the SN of my Gen8 -- very impressed by HP's responsiveness 

I went to HP's Software/Firmware download center to give it the "acid test" of downloading https://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/swdHome/?sp4ts.oid=5387585   and had no issues downloading "Entitlement Requirement" Drivers/SW 

I checked my Warranty Status https://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/wc/home  and it showed my expired "Base Warranty" and the new "HP Care Pack" Warranty -- cool

Seems to be working well

• 2 weeks later...

The annoying part  is Provantage have stock but list as they only ship the 3yr care pack to USA over here in Australia it is double the price

Bill

• 8 months later...

Not that impressed by HP Support so far.
Wanted to download the latest BIOS + SPP ISO but was unable to do so because I didn't have an entitlement..(I purchased my Microserver 3 days ago) tried to add it but the form threw an error so contacted support to have them connect my serial to my supportname so that I may have the latest firmware updates with bugfixes..(can't believe I just wrote that)

I for one will not be paying for firmware updates that fixes issues that the manufacturer is responsible for and will gladly search in the "grey area" to obtain what should be legally mine. (or I'll join schoondoggy's firmware club)

Edited by Socra

• 2 years later...

HP drivers are usually don't stand out that much. They cannot make sure that their drivers aren't working properly and won't be able to deal with all the things going on at this moment. The firmware driver would give a heck of a pain. HP Support isn't much of a help either.