RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP's new rules to access Firmware & Driver downloads

Joe_Miner

Cisco do the same thing tbh, its nothing new.

For home users they can still use the normal download, it only appears to be for enterprise kit.

We've got carepacks at work so it doesnt bother me eitherway as I'm not paying for it... :D

Cisco may --but how many people buy Cisco servers?

Also, note that I can get firmware for Dell servers and PowerConnect switches no matter the warranty status or age.  And Dell now has lifetime hardware warranty on almost all of their managed switches.

I don't think Lenovo requires a contract for me to download server firmware either, though I haven't confirmed.

OK, but a SAN is pretty way out there. There are extremely few home users who are going to buy one. Over the past few years I've even seen many enterprises moving away from SANs, siting them as too expensive, too complicated, and too unreliable.

Oh aye, I'm not condoning what HP have done, they have gone too far with it imho but was just giving examples of other companies that have done similar..

This is the age-old issue Canadian and US companies face when doing business overseas. In so many of these countries, bribery is normal and expected. Basically, it's play ball or go home. IBM got into a lot of hot water over it quite a few years back. I don't know what the answer is, but the companies involved think it's unfair that they can't have a level playing field.

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I'm not a fan of the idea, I've found the 3-year CarePack for the Gen8 around a hundred bucks.  Tempted to buy it at this point.

In which case, I'll make the firmware available to anyone who wants it, completely free of charge.

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Like 2

Nice Job!!!  How did you find it?  I've been looking for it off and on -- I thought the price would be around $200+

Nice Job!!!  How did you find it?  I've been looking for it off and on -- I thought the price would be around $200+

HP's price is around $126, bought online.

https://h30094.www3.hp.com/product/sku/10273180

ProVantage has it for like a hundred bucks, last I checked, but listed out of stock.

This is for three year, next-business day.  Paying more will get you a longer period of service, or faster response time, neither of which I need.  However, I don't plan on upgrading any time soon, and despite my dislike for HP's policies and their accounting/marketing/home PC divisions, their hardware engineers for servers and enterprise products are good.  The Dell T20 and Lenovo TS140 just don't quite do what I want (even though they have their niche).

I might as well get hardware support for three years more if it's going to cost me that little.

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Like 1