RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP's new rules to access Firmware & Driver downloads

Joe_Miner

And of course the microserver is a ProLiant server. In other words, HP has received their last purchase from me... ever.

Yep, same here.

This is disgusting and I will never buy a HP product again. And to think I almost purchased a HP switch a few days ago.........luckily I didn't.

Speaking of which, does anyone know where I can get the latest BIOS download?

Edited by NateN34

I'm glad a few people mentioned 'legality'. My thought as I read the various posts was, "I sense a Class Action Lawsuit" coming, based on the precept that HP is trying to alter the terms of a contract after it has been completed". IOW, HP sold the products with certain understandings on the part of their customers; now they are trying to change those understandings. I suspect this isn't legal, even if HP has wording in their EULA that says they can alter the terms at any time -- just because something is put into a EULA does not necessarily mean it's legal.

I'm glad a few people mentioned 'legality'. My thought as I read the various posts was, "I sense a Class Action Lawsuit" coming, based on the precept that HP is trying to alter the terms of a contract after it has been completed". IOW, HP sold the products with certain understandings on the part of their customers; now they are trying to change those understandings. I suspect this isn't legal, even if HP has wording in their EULA that says they can alter the terms at any time -- just because something is put into a EULA does necessarily mean it's legal.

Perhaps... I'd sign on for that one. But the most good we can all do is shame them publicly through social media constantly AND not buying their products.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Here is a combination of two of my posts regarding this subject.  Personally, I believe that Meg listens to our response as much as Carly Fiorina did back in the day, but hopefully someone there has ears to hear with.

To quote HP:

"Why is HP making this change?

This change brings HP into alignment with current industry practices for HP firmware updates and SPP distribution"

It's seriously sad that I can go and download firmware for a P4-Xeon based Dell PowerEdge 2600 right now, proving this "current industry practices" line patently false.  Heck, I can go download it for a Pentium II/Pentium III Xeon-based PowerEdge 4300 or 4400; these systems are Windows NT4/Server 2000 vintage.  As well as firmware for SCSI RAID controllers like the PERC 4 family that are ages old.  I don't expect HP, Dell, or anyone else, to release firmware forever, mind you --but I do expect it to be freely available as long as it is being released to fix bugs in an existing product.

This is a really disappointing slap in the face to Small Business users and enthusiasts.  The Microserver Gen8 is one of the most impressive  servers I've seen in the entry market to date, and with no updates to iLO, RAID, or server firmware without a contract, I could build myself a Mini-ITX server with lights-out management based on a board like the Asrock E3C226D2I, or a similar board from SuperMicro, and know I won't have to deal with the same issue.  I could also buy a Dell PowerEdge T-series on the Dell Outlet, add a coupon code, and end up with something that will do what I want.

HP built a market from the MediaSmart/DataVault line to the Microserver N36L/N40L/N54L and now the Gen8, and they built it on the backs of IT enthusiasts, SOHO users, and people who cater to small business.  This is a stab at the people who made the market successful, probably a dumb beancounter move, and it's highly disappointing.

P.S.  -What affects IT enthusiasts also affects their workplace; we lead our employers or our clients to what we believe will serve them best.  With this change, how many of us truly believe that HP ProLiant Gen8 servers are what will serve best in the enterprise, when we could find a competitor with less onerous support policies?

Edited by LoneWolf

Wow, Marc Andreessen is a board member. I wonder if I can trade him some of these ancient Netscape coffee mugs here for a FW update in the future? :P

Wow, Marc Andreessen is a board member. I wonder if I can trade him some of these ancient Netscape coffee mugs here for a FW update in the future? :P

LOL :D

I know I'm not really adding anything that hasn't already been said, but wow, this is unreal. As someone who has been in the support/IT industry for well over a decade, this is a shocking shift, and one that I suspect will do nothing but harm HP long term.As others have mentioned, as enthusiasts, we *expect* to pay for support calls beyond the warranty period, just as corporate IT folk (which I'm sure includes more than a few of us) see the wisdom in maintaining support contracts. Yet we also expect that drivers/firmware/BIOSes, etc, will be available as a courtesy, indefinitely - part of the implicit post-sales support agreement entered into when purchasing a top-dollar server from one of the few remaining Fortune 500 behemoth OEMs rather than a white-box SuperMicro for hundreds or thousands less.So, HP can laugh all the way to the bank with the thousands of dollars of my money that's been spent on their products over the years. And the tens of thousands my clients have spent based on MY recommendations. But they won't be getting any more referrals from me. No more will I act as a non-commissioned salesperson for their laptops, workstations, and servers. Not a dime. And I suspect I'm far from the only "technology influencer" that will be taking this stance from this point on./rant

^ Apparently the above needed HTML tags to format properly. Just imagine paragraph breaks included where they should be for maximum effect. :)

• Like 1

But they won't be getting any more referrals from me. No more will I act as a non-commissioned salesperson for their laptops, workstations, and servers. Not a dime. And I suspect I'm far from the only "technology influencer" that will be taking this stance from this point on. /rant

^ Apparently the above needed HTML tags to format properly. Just imagine paragraph breaks included where they should be for maximum effect. :)

Good point!

Your post made me stop and think of the number of HP laptops, PC's, workstations, servers, storage and networking I have referred or recommended over the years.

I have had great luck with HP products, but a big reason of why I recommend them has been the availability of drivers, firmware and manuals.

• Like 1