RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP's new rules to access Firmware & Driver downloads

Joe_Miner

It has been very slow and several times while trying to get P222 drivers I got kicked to a page that said the product P222 wasn't sold in the US and I should check their World site :)

I an only echo the sentiments expressed already. I own 2 x N36l and 1x N40L. At the time I bought them, HP did not have this  restriction. I do not believe it is reasonable for HP to change the rules after we purchased them.

I needed the latest BIOS to support 8.1 and Windows 2012 R2. The N40L was under warranty, but the N36L's were not. This was a HP issue, not mine and I don't believe, they have any grounds for not supporting firmware delivered with bugs for a reasonable life.

In fact, In Australia, I don't think HP's position would be legal. We are entitled to receive warranty support for a reasonable life of the purchase under law. In this case, a minimum of 3 years would be relevant.

At least, I can understand why Cisco is doing it. Most of the downloadable stuff from their site are fully-functional operating systems called the Cisco Internetwork Operating System (Cisco IOS - Not to be confused with Apple's iOS).

There are different IOS images that supports certain features (they aptly call it Feature Sets). Base IOS images supports, among others, just the common TCP/IP features. Other feature sets can support additional functions such as security (firewall, IPS/IDS), VoIP, encryption, certain routing protocols, etc. These images, needless to say, and depending on the amount of features that requires a license, carries different price tags. In short, they don't want people who have bought a Cisco router and only paid for the Base IOS to freely download another one that has voice or security features.

HP however, are only providing driver/firmware updates to fix hardware or features that were supposed to be working out-of-the-box. Is this to say that HP won't help you if there happens to be a vulnerability in their firmware and your hardware is already out of warranty or lacks an active service contract? Hmmm... I smell litigation... maybe.

hmmm, not a very nice Birthday present from HP for me then, I expected better product support from them.  Luckily I took out the 3 year support on my Gen8 and Gen7 microservers but this announcement has almost certainly killed any chance of me buying any other HP products in future.  I've always got on well with Dell servers at work so I guess I'd better keep an eye on their future products.  I've no doubt these changes will cost HP more money in the long run, hopefully they'll realise what a poor decision it was in a few years and reverse it.

The support site must really be getting hit this morning -- haven't been able to get to the P222 driver/firmware page all morning and I just noticed the Product registration page is down this morning too.

Saw this post at PCWorld:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2097060/hp-says-security-updates-not-included-under-new-firmware-policy.html

So, there appears to be a little back-pedaling in this article, but then as I read it a second time, then a third. I'm left questioning the status if the Microserver. In the Proliant line, but ... maybe not so many questions. I should have "stayed a builder".... :-(

Looks like security and safety patches may remain available, but "The company will not put entitlement requirements on iLO, I/O, or controller firmware, and is only covering ProLiant system ROM and complex programming logic devices (CPLD) firmware ..."

"McCoy defended HP’s decision to limit access..." I've tried defending my need to drive faster than the speed limit when I've been in a hurry, it has never worked out all that well in the end.

Agree it's not a happy policy for a new Microserver owner.

And of course the microserver is a ProLiant server. In other words, HP has received their last purchase from me... ever.

I built my htpc... I'll build my next server... or modify the gen8...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk