RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP's new rules to access Firmware & Driver downloads

Joe_Miner

Only recourse I have is to not buy their products. And that's exactly what I'm going to do. They're not the only game in town.

If they announced this before I purchased my gen 8 I wouldn't of bought it. Take heed HP, if you're smart enough to read your product's forums... that's how a vast majority of your customer base will feel.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I agree. Part of my purchasing decision around HP is the fact that I have always had access to drivers and firmware so I can support/maintain my own products.

I have five HP servers that I purchased partly do to that 'feature'. Now they are taking that away. I think I deserve a refund!

If I try to apply logic to this, it would have made more sense for HP to say, 'starting with Gen 9 Proliant servers, you will need to have a valid warranty or service contract to have access to drivers and firmware'. Or I would certainly expect at some point in time they would start dropping support for older servers, Gen 4 or 5. Or in the Smart array controller family drops support for the P400 family.

The other thing that has been stated on several websites, this policy will cause people to create gray market sources for drivers and firmware.

I read through all of the limited information we have on this policy currently I see no rules about redistribution. I'm sure they will have them I just have not seen them yet.

What would keep me from taking out the most minimal service contract on all of my HP servers and raid cards. Then I can download drivers and firmware for all those devices and offer them up to others who would pay a small fee to be part of my HP Driver Firmware Club. With the course HP is on I am sure this will occur. Past history indicates this will cause problems and issues as files get corrupted and infected by not being properly cared for on someone's server. In the end if you ruin your server by downloading a corrupted bios from my rogue website chances are you will still be upset with HP because the perception will be it was HP's bios that messed up your system. This will continue to drag down their brand equity.

Is anyone else having trouble (besides me :) ) downloading firmware/drivers today?  I'm getting a lot of "invocation_failed_error" for P222's & Gen8's

There is another thread about someone trying to download one and he gets dropped.

Do you mean this one: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7080-hp-p222-start-up/

Last Thurs (2/6/2014) I discovered HP's new policy when trying to download drivers and firmware updates to get my newly purchased P222 up and running.  If it hadn't been for the snowstorm in the south the previous week I would have gotten my P222 a week earlier and might have been oblivious to HP's Policy change till much further down the road.

Thank you for the heads-up Joe.

I had previously downloaded most of the drivers I need for my N36L and P410, and I have made sure today that I have the latest available drivers for each device.

Echoing comments above, one reason for my purchasing HP hardware is the long-term availability of drivers and firmware; the recent change in HPs policy will influence my buying decisions, not just for my home kit, but also for the equipment (servers, switches etc) that we use at work. Being a small business, the low-end to mid-range equipment we use is in service for at least three to five years, and we simply cannot live with kit which we will be unable to obtain the latest drivers and firmware for without an additional (and costly) support subscription.

Of course, from HPs point of view, me and my employer are not significant, revenue wise, and will not be missed. With the squeeze on margins and the shareholder pressure to maximise their annual returns, I can understand why such a commercial decision has been made. Still, this is a disappointing day for the small business and home enthusiast.