RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
adsboel

Spring cleaning an old friend (N36L)

adsboel

Wanted to share he revist of an old friend :o). My loyal N36L had a drive failure and the it-doctor had to peek into it and oh dear, it showed a dirty trail of time.

Its been with me in four homes across two continent and travelled 16 039 km to join me in Australia.

I think its time for a abit of spring cleaning and a well deserved R&R as backup domain controller :)

n36l_springcleaning.jpg

cskenney

Heat is the enemy of every system.  It's a good lesson for everyone to periodically vacuum or blow out the dust and dirt that accumulates inside our servers and other computer hardware.

RXP

You should look at using a dust filter on the door. I just use a dried out and stretched wet one (wet napkin). Works perfectly and doesn't inhibit airflow too much.

jmwills

I've seen machines in Iraq and Afghanistan that didn't look that bad with regards to dust..  Wow...but cskenny is right about the heat and dust is a killer.

I'd be careful on using filters too as that might restrict air flow through the case.

adsboel

I did clean it this morning, while trying to figure out which disc was off, and as result the fan sound was half'ed .. so definitely a gain.

Wol's House

Yep, certainly time for a good vac!

I have seen worse with home PCs that live on a carpeted surface and in a house with pets. The heatsinks that Intel shipped with the P4 processors can get solid with dust to the point I wondered if the CPU fan ever had any cooling effect.

Even in a low-dust environment, dust accumulates and sticks to electronic components, heatsinks and fans due to the static electricity as well as due to the flow of air.

Looks like you've caught your N36L in time before the CPU or chipset chips started to overheat. It is also a timely reminder for me to look inside mine too..!

ikon

Re: filters: one of the best materials you can use is nylon stockings. If you're married, or have a close female friend (or perhaps you're just into nylons ;) ), you should be able to acquire an old pair of stockings. Otherwise, just buy a cheap pair (try the Dollar Store nearest you). If the fan has a frame you can stretch the nylon over it. If not, you can make a frame from an old metal clothes hanger or other suitable material. One of the best things about this kind of filter is that it can be cleaned by rinsing under the tap.

• Like 1

Albert20
I’ve always done pretty much the same thing, except I do it all outside. Power down, wait 5 minutes., disconnect everything from the box, then I go out of the deck or front porch with a fresh can of compressed air and blow the hell out of everything, everywhere. when I’m done I’ll take a damp towel and wipe the outside, the side panels too. Sometime I’ll use q-tips and damp them up to and do every nook and cranny and harder to reach places for a complete clean out. best of luck with your spring cleaning hope i have offered some help

Albert

mooblie

The front door on all these Microservers comes off at the hinge and then (by taking the lock off) separates easily into two parts - the outer door and an inner grill - ideal for fitting a correctly-sized piece of mesh to act as a dust filter.

Edited by mooblie

jmwills

The front door on all these Microservers comes off at the hinge and then (by taking the lock off) separates easily into two parts - the outer door and an inner grill - ideal for fitting a correctly-sized piece of mesh to act as a dust filter.

Good as long as you clean the filter.