RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
adsboel

External USB

adsboel

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have issues with using the external USB ports on the Gen8?

My internal one is going mighty fine and my external ones are not reacting at all.

I did check the bios that external usb was allowed, but it doesn't seem to be the case for me ..

In short: Let me know if you have same issue.

cskenney

Which ports specifically.  If I remember correctly there are USB2 and USB3 ports on the back.  Or is it any / all of the USB ports on the back that aren't working?

anton_ch

Hi adsboel,

My USB ports are all working correctly, USB 2.0 and USB 3.0.

Win 2012 R2 Standard.

psikey

The USB3 ports are only seen once an OS with correct drivers is installed. I have a pair of external USB3/eSATA enclosures and both seen without problem on USB3 or eSATA (with my add in eSATA card).

ikon

The USB3 ports are only seen once an OS with correct drivers is installed. I have a pair of external USB3/eSATA enclosures and both seen without problem on USB3 or eSATA (with my add in eSATA card).

Exactly. Until USB3 drivers are incorporated into the base BIOS/UEFI (something I feel certain will happen at some point), the ports can't work until the OS loads a driver.

LoneWolf

Mine are working fine, both USB2 (where I have my UPS plugged in) and USB3 (where I have my MacAlly USB3 external enclosure).

I have confirmed as of yesterday that it is possible to do a bare-metal Server 2012R2 restore over the USB3 ports; you just need to load the USB3 drivers during the process, and the drive will be recognized.  HP provides the driver under their Server 2008R2 section (I didn't see it under 2012), and it has been updated in the past couple of months if I recall correctly.

Some external enclosures can have really picky chipsets, though.  My previous Thermaltake enclosure that worked great on eSATA with my N54L had serious issues even on the USB2 ports of the Gen8; Windows considered my drive in the enclosure corrupt.  I had to replace the enclosure to resolve the issue.  I strongly recommend finding enclosures that list compatibility with 3TB or larger drives; this will ensure you have a modern controller chipset, and (hopefully) one that works well with USB3 if so advertised.

ikon

I have confirmed as of yesterday that it is possible to do a bare-metal Server 2012R2 restore over the USB3 ports; you just need to load the USB3 drivers during the process, and the drive will be recognized.  HP provides the driver under their Server 2008R2 section (I didn't see it under 2012), and it has been updated in the past couple of months if I recall correctly.

Exactly.