RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Havent even unboxed my Gen 8 :)

seojoseph

Hello,

My old LG n2r1dd1 NAS is dying so Im backing everything up and decided to spend some money and change the router and extender too. :)

1653337_10202371342577557_1538633657_n.j

So: I want to use the MicroServer as a XBMC box and maybe have FreeNAS - run them both with exsi.. can I? Why do I want FreeNAS? Because I'm a mac user.

62384_10202351904691622_365288042_n.jpg

I have a SSD drive - laying around I want to throw into the MicroServer..I was thinking about adding a low profile 1GB GFX card and one wd red 2TB hard drives there.. can I upgrade the 2TB by adding another 2TB later then add the raid?

Nice setup.

Thanks.

My question is this though:

If I buy one hard drive 2TB hard drive right now for movies, pictures to stream via XMBC for my ouya in my home office - is it worth the extra 30 bucks or so for the WD BLACKS vs the WD REDs?

also .. later when I can - can I add another BLACK or RED hard drive for a RAID without loosing the data I already put on the existing one?

Then I slept and thought about it and was thinking of just selling my SSD and getting the velociraptor - because SSDs are not really good at reporting errors. Whats your feedback for that?

This is what I imagine starting with:

1 velociraptor or ssd in drive bay 1 ( for OS )

1 WD red or black in drive bay three ( for data )

Im just wondering if I can upgrade later and put in a exact drive next to each one and throw two raid 1s at it. Will all drives utilize the sata 3 thats in there?

Like I said - I would like to have this exsi for windows server 2011 or 2012 - I don't know with another vhd for the freebsd for the DATA like movies, pictures, etc, etc. 

-snip-

If I buy one hard drive 2TB hard drive right now for movies, pictures to stream via XMBC for my ouya in my home office - is it worth the extra 30 bucks or so for the WD BLACKS vs the WD REDs?

also .. later when I can - can I add another BLACK or RED hard drive for a RAID without loosing the data I already put on the existing one?

-snip-

Personally, instead of the WD Black I would go with either the WD Red NAS Drives or the Seagate NAS Drives.  Both are good, both are rated NAS 24/7.  You can compare their performance at NAS HDD Showdown: WD Red vs. Seagate NAS

You can find a lot of other useful information via the links on CSKenney’s page ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Links  

Wow, I wish I had that amount of workspace.

Oh and, definitely go with the Reds. Just stress/surface test them first before you entrust your data with it ( actually, that goes with any HDD you plan to use on your server).

Just stress/surface test them first before you entrust your data with it ( actually, that goes with any HDD you plan to use on your server).

Completely agree. My current complaint is that I like to use SpinRite to burn drives in, but it's doesn't properly handle drives larger than 2TB. I wish Steve Gibson would hurry up and update the program. What do you use for stress testing?