RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Optimal Drive setup for HyperV Host - N54L

lee-bowman

Hello Guys,

I have been viewing this forum for a couple of years now. I have a N40 and N54.

The N40 has the latest BIOS Mod, 2012R2, 8GB RAM, a SSD runs the OS in the Optical Bay and I have 2 pairs of WD Reds in RAID1 and this is for data (Music, files etc). It is also a DC, DHCP and DNS Server.

The N54L also has the latest BIOS Mod, 2012R2, 16GB RAM, the OS is currently on the original 250GB drive. I want to use this machine as my HyperV host to run approx. 4 VMs with limited load. (basically a home test lab). I would like some recommendations for a good drive setup for the VMs please. I am tempted by the IcyDock in the ODD bay and having 2 or 4 SSDs for the VHDs and a couple of 3.5 drives for the data.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Keep any database writes off the SSD and then it sounds you got a fair idea on how to setup the rest. I suggest SSD for and default virtual discs except storage and database drives. These I would place on spinners using passthru configuration.

to pass thru discs:

- goto computer management

- disc management

- right click on the disc number on the left side of the partition legend

- select OFFLINE

Once its offline, you can pass it to your virtual in the settings where you choose disc files.

Then go to Hyper-V Manager :

- shut down your VM

- goto settings for the vm

- add a new virtual disc

- select physical hard disk in the media selection and you should see your passthru disc being available.

Edited by adsboel

• 2 weeks later...

I'm facing a similar situation. On my current N40, I have an SSD drive in the optical drive bay with the OS (WS2012E) on it and everything else on the storage drives.

Now I'm looking at building a new system for a client using an HP G2020T Gen8 box and since WS2012R2E licensing now allows us to use a Hyper-V host, I'd like to go that route.

So I want to set things up with a Hyper-V host and a WS2012R2E VM. But I'm not sure about the drive configuration. It made sense before to put the OS on an SSD, but does that still stand if that OS is the Hyper-V host?

Or, would it be just as good with a small HHD for Hyper-V?

Or, should I get 2 SSDs (in an IcyDock in ODB) with the Hyper-V OS on one and the VM OS on the other (using passthru as described)?

If so, how big an SSD would I need for Hyper-V? 

Hello Guys,

I have been viewing this forum for a couple of years now. I have a N40 and N54.

The N40 has the latest BIOS Mod, 2012R2, 8GB RAM, a SSD runs the OS in the Optical Bay and I have 2 pairs of WD Reds in RAID1 and this is for data (Music, files etc). It is also a DC, DHCP and DNS Server.

The N54L also has the latest BIOS Mod, 2012R2, 16GB RAM, the OS is currently on the original 250GB drive. I want to use this machine as my HyperV host to run approx. 4 VMs with limited load. (basically a home test lab). I would like some recommendations for a good drive setup for the VMs please. I am tempted by the IcyDock in the ODD bay and having 2 or 4 SSDs for the VHDs and a couple of 3.5 drives for the data.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

I would start out with what I had and as you learn more you'll get to see what areas you want to build up.  For a while I used two of the Original HP 250GB drives in a RAID0 as a VM drive for Hyper-V on my desktop.  Two or more VelociRaptors would also work fine.  SSD's are great if you have a SATA III port and have some busy VM's but for a home lab refurbished VR's or 10K White Label VR's can work fine too.  If you were to add a RAID card to your N54L you could use an Icy Dock enclosure to get 4 VR's in the top ODD bay area  (without icepack) and still have the 4 bay area below.  A single Gen6 VR actually works well IMHO for 2-4 VMs depending on what you're doing -- The optimal setup is whatever setup works for you -- I wouldn't spend a lot of $ early on -- I used a WD Green EADS drive for my VM drive when I first loaded S2008R2 on a N40L -- a little slow but I learned a lot :)

Here are some thread's to read:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5343-new-server-setup-with-ws-2012-for-virtualization/page-3

Lots of good ideas in this thread and it's related thread http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5189-drive-setup-for-hyper-v-host/

SBSDiva has some good points about using the MicroServer for a Hyper-V Play box:

SBS Diva's Microserver build for Hyper-V for S2012E (Eventually)

SBS Diva's Play-box for Hyper-V

SBS Diva Confirms the MicroServer will hold 16GB of RAM

SBS Diva's State of the Union of S2012E HSS #217 includes description of her home N40L with Hyper-V Lab and WHS-2011    

Her description of her N40L home N40L with Hyper-V Lab & WHS2011 running in one of her VM's is really worth listening to.....

So just to throw something out to think about -- with an N54L and just using the 4 drive cage -- all SATA II ports

Port 0 - OS Drive either WD1500HLHX or WD2500HHTZ or white label equivalents

Port 1 - VM Drive WD2500HHTZ or white label equivalent

Port 2 & 3 - DATA Drives in RAID1

You can get more ideas at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5063-theoretical-question-on-microserver-icydock-mod/?p=55109  

Edited by Joe_Miner

I'm facing a similar situation. On my current N40, I have an SSD drive in the optical drive bay with the OS (WS2012E) on it and everything else on the storage drives.

Now I'm looking at building a new system for a client using an HP G2020T Gen8 box and since WS2012R2E licensing now allows us to use a Hyper-V host, I'd like to go that route.

So I want to set things up with a Hyper-V host and a WS2012R2E VM. But I'm not sure about the drive configuration. It made sense before to put the OS on an SSD, but does that still stand if that OS is the Hyper-V host?

Or, would it be just as good with a small HHD for Hyper-V?

Or, should I get 2 SSDs (in an IcyDock in ODB) with the Hyper-V OS on one and the VM OS on the other (using passthru as described)?

If so, how big an SSD would I need for Hyper-V? 

Ports 1&2 on the B120i are SATAIII so you could go SSD or Gen6 VR's in those two ports -- 1 for your OS and the other for your VM drive leaving Ports 3&4 for a RAID1 Data array.  Need more space for data -- mount a SDM on the PSU and put your SSD's or VR's on that (still attached to Ports 1&2 via a fan out cable from your B120i) then add a controller card and attach your 4 drive bay mini-sas to that card -- you could even put two VR's or SSD's on the SDM and squeeze two more SSD's (thin ones) in the ODD (remember though ports 3&4 of the B120i are going to be SATAII ).

Just some ideas to start thinking.  Draw up your thoughts and post a potential plan and see what kind of feedback you get over a week or two  till you;re comfortable with what you want to start out with -- no-control has some great points at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5343-new-server-setup-with-ws-2012-for-virtualization/?p=61100

Edited by Joe_Miner

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Joe, but after reading the thread about HP's new firmware download policy change, I will not be recommending a Gen8 to my client.

Any other hardware build recommendations for WS2012R2E running a VM on Hyper-V?

And while I have you, is the SATA port on the MB of the N40L SATA II or III? That's what my SSD in the ODD bay is connected to. Thanks.