RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
lanky8804

Upload Speed Issues

lanky8804

Thats for the responses.

I have now tried new cable on both mac and freeNAS and still no change with speed.

From copying over some test files it appear that it is only my time machine backup which is causing dropouts in connection, maybe it some weird apple thing. When i copy over large file my upload speed remains consistent at between 9-10mb.

I am currently looking at upgrading RAM or possibly a new NIC for the MicroServer.

Any suggestions as to what might be a better investment?

I cannot see that it is the NIC in the freenas as it is gigabit unless the driver is buggy?

cskenney

I don't have any experience with freenas on the microserver (or freenas anywhere).  John Stutsman has a nice article showing benchmark numbers for this N40L and N54L using a variety of benchmarks with Windows OSes.  You can find it here http://homeservershow.com/performance-comparison-of-windows-home-server-2011-on-the-hp-proliant-n40l-microserver-hp-proliant-n54l-g7-microserver.html

I also know nothing about time machine.  However if you look at John's article you will see that the benchmarks that are testing small file transfers don't produce as good of numbers as a large file transfer.  I am wondering if that is why you are seeing a difference between the time machine transfer rate and your large file transfer rate.  However you large file transfer still be producing better numbers.

What is the 1TB drive you are using?  Is it a green drive or a 5400RPM drive?  This can impact your transfer speeds.

Do you have any other computers that you can use to test transfer speeds?  In other words MAC to device A, Device A to Microserver, and you already have MAC to Microserver.  That may help determine if its the Microserver, switch, or even the MAC.

From testing that John Stutsman and I have done on the Microservers they benefit from additional RAM.  It provides a buffer during file transfer.

How large was the "large" file you transferred and what type of file was it?

Did you try and different switch?  You mentioned different cables but your network switch could still be the issue.  How long are your cables?

One last thing. You are stating 4-7mb transferring to time machine.  I am assuming you mean 4-7MB (MegaBytes).  Typically a small "b" is bits and if you are really transferring at 4-7megabits/sec you have a major problem.

lanky8804

I have found the error which was causing me speed issues.

Bit of a school boy error but my mac had WIFI and ethernet switched on and for some reason it was defaulting to sending the data over the WIFI. As soon as i switched off the WIFI it defaulted to the ethernet giving me 100MB + uploads.

Thank you to everyone for their advice and support  :D

ikon

Things like that are always a bit of a "duh" moment, but just be glad you found it in the end.