RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
lanky8804

Upload Speed Issues

lanky8804

Hi

I am currently running freeNAS on a Microserver n54l with 2gb RAM.

I have a single 1tb HDD set in a ZFS Stripe, this is used solely as a Time Machine for my iMac.

However when i am trying to backup using Time Machine my upload speeds are awful. I am averaging 4-7mb with constant dropouts in connection. The max upload speed i have managed to achieve is 10mb when copying over a film. All over the forums people are saying that they are achieving 60mb + easily.

The time machine is using an AFP and everything is connected by a gigabit ethernet.

Whats going on??? Any advice would be much appreciated.

schoondoggy

Have you run any benchmarks other than measuring time machine?

Have you tried copying data between folders on your drive to be sure you do not have a drive issue?

lanky8804

No.

How would i go about doing this?

Dave

Can you map a drive on your mac to the freenas and copy data back and forth?  Check those data rates.  That's not a scientific measurement but should be consistent with your Time Machine findings.  Any other machines on this network?  You really have to do this test before moving on to the next steps.  IMO

I know nothing about freenas but you have to be able to see it's folders.

http://forums.freenas.org/threads/map-network-drive.15862/

jmwills

The key or at least one is not to use router ports but rather a dedicated switch.

Wired or wireless for the Mac?

lanky8804

HSS-Dave yes I can map and connect to my drives. Again max upload that I can achieve is 10mb.

Jmwills my mac is wired. Both the mac and freenas go to the same gigabit switch

jmwills

Try different ports on the switch and different cables. Eliminate the simple stuff.

cskenney

I agree with JMWills.  Try new cables and then a different switch.  I had a cable that would connect at Gigabit speed and then drop back as soon as I tried to transfer anything big.

ikon

Another test you could try is to wire the Mac directly to the FreeNAS. On most computers today the NICs are N-way negotiating, meaning they don't require a X-over cable to be able to talk to each other, so you should be able to just connect them together. This test will eliminate the switch as a possible issue, as well as one of the Ethernet cables.

hoorah

I think the key is in the dropouts in connection.  I've had plenty of old NAS boxes that had slow CPUs, and thus, slow file transfers, but the connection never dropped.

I admit ignorance on the part of HP microservers but have you tried running a tried-and-true extra NIC card, something you know has good linux drivers?