• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jem101

• jmwills

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Call your ISP before bailing. The last time I looked Exchange 2010 took a minimum of 8 gigs of RAM to install.

Guest techyguyni

wow, ok didnt realise exchange would use or need so much, i have 2010 and 2013 but havent installed either of them yet, maybe have to get more memory for the server or build another one as a test machine,  i havent got the hardware to deploy another server at the moment, further into the year i will so i think ill leave this on the back burner for now, more inportant that i understand iis and get that part sorted out as it now is thanks to you guys.

infact whilst iam on the subject, is there a way to create a 100% copy of my server so i can run it in hyper v under server standard r2?

thanks

ps sorry about all these questions

wow, ok didnt realise exchange would use or need so much, i have 2010 and 2013 but havent installed either of them yet, maybe have to get more memory for the server or build another one as a test machine,  i havent got the hardware to deploy another server at the moment, further into the year i will so i think ill leave this on the back burner for now, more inportant that i understand iis and get that part sorted out as it now is thanks to you guys.

infact whilst iam on the subject, is there a way to create a 100% copy of my server so i can run it in hyper v under server standard r2?

thanks

ps sorry about all these questions

Not a problem

Exchange doesn't actually need too much in CPU power but it does like lots of RAM and fast disk access. Also it isn't supported to install it on a DC and really needs it's own server (and Windows licence etc). Yes I'm sure someone is going to say about SBS but that was always a special case.

For physical to virtual conversations try disk2vhd from live.sysinternals.com. Straightforward, reasonably simple to use and free-so it has everything going for it!

If you do go for it, as jmwills (or Jam Wills as the autocorrect on my ipad insists on calling him), rightly says, check with your ISP if they block inbound SMTP traffic, although good luck in getting through to someone in the call centre who will understand the question!

It seems to be much more common in the US to block these ports than in Europe, my ISP doesn't block anything except for a few Netbios ports - they do have terms and conditions about running servers on a domestic connection but unless you really abuse it, they tend not to take much notice.

John

Well actually you can install Exchange on a DC, it's called Small Business Server.

If Exchange is that important to you.

Guest techyguyni

I wasnt sure if it was recommended to run exchange on a dc or not, always told it wasnt but never had any explination as to why it wasnt.

Ive decided to move my iis installation over to my server 2012 none dc server and leave my essentials the way it is now i understand the workings of iss and hosting, Should have the parts here this week or next.

Going to have to look into controlling the server 2012 standard from the windows server essentails box as i no its possible to do.

By the way all my severs are 2012 r2 boxes.

paul 

For a local email server you might want to consider http://code-crafters.com/abilitymailserver/index.html. It's not free, but I've used it very successfully for more than 5 years. It can be used 2 ways: Flat File, and Backend Database. I use Flat File. The beauty of using it this way is that the entire email server can be moved to another computer simply by moving the entire folder over.

Guest techyguyni

Ah interesting, thanks for the recommendation of software, I will look into it. Iam currently sat looking at exchange server installing, i decided to run it in hyper-v as a test bed.

thanks 

Edited by techyguyni

Exchange Server is a great email server, but it's a LOT of server for typical home use. I've run Exchange Server setups in business, but I decided to go another route for my home LAN.