RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

IIS Hiding my IP Address to the public

Guest techyguyni

hi 

ok got it all sorted thanks, i had to change the dns settings on my domain register company, the a record was wrong.

thanks again, i dont know if i need to open a new thread but is it possible to get a a email address for this domain from the server like user@mydomain.com

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jem101

• jmwills

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent, glad you got it sorted.

Talk to whoever set up the domain name. Generally they also include a number of email accounts and some mail hosting, if they do then you should be able to set up some addresses and have mail delivered to them.

John

OK, I think you need to be just a little careful here. What change did you make. As jem101 said, what you need to do is have an A record for WWW.mydomain.com. I don't think you want to change the A record for the root mydomain.com. If you change the root A record you could cause ALL internet traffic to go to the server, which I suspect is not what you want.

jem101, if I've messed that up, please correct me.

No you haven't messed up, that's quite right. He needs just a host record for www to point to his servers public IP. I suspect that before there was a bit if forwarding going on which is why he could still hit his website by name before but IIS would have no idea what is was responding to and so returned the IP address.

Still techyguyni may well have done just yet and had them add an 'A' record for www.

Even if it's sending all traffic to his server it's not the end of the world though. If he gets mail working as well then there will need to be at least one MX (Mail eXchange) record set up pointing to the hosting company. That should still work even with the 'A' record not set properly.

John

Guest techyguyni

ok guys what i did was change the ip address on the domain name companys site to my servers external ip address, 

this is a breakdown of my dns settings on my domain providers control panel for my site

On my own server i have the following

dns settings: a new foward lookup zone with a name of lets say santa web, within santa web i have 2 A Records one with the internal ip address and one record with the external ip address under the reverse lookup zpne i have an internal ip lookup and external reverse lookup zone.

not sure if i need all them, maybe someone could clarify 

Edited by techyguyni
Guest techyguyni

photo of dns settings

will this mean all my traffic will go to my server quote  ikon HSS Grand Master (ALL internet traffic to go to the server)

post-8026-0-18158200-1391863521_thumb.png

Edited by techyguyni

I can't be absolutely sure because the way various providers present the DNS zone files, but it looks like you are OK with that setup.

Inbound mail for your domain will hit the providers mail servers (that's the two MX records). The . record at the top should mean that all traffic gets routed to the provider except for www which goes to your public address.

The DNS zones on your own server will never be seen by the outside world, there are only there so that you can resolve the name internally and even then they are only needed if your public (external) domain name matches your internal (local) domain name - which it really shouldn't. You probably don't need the 'A' record for the public IP and the rDNS entries won't be doing much either - but it certainly won't do any harm to leave them in. Just make a mental note to yourself that they are there. In the future if you ever move provider and/or change your public IP, then they may cause issues depending on the circumstances.

Just remember the golden rule : Problems? It's (nearly) always DNS!

John

One sure fire way to verify that it is set correctly is to run an nslookup command against your domain name.  If that resolves to the external IP Address furnished by your ISP, then your A record has been successfully created.  (Caveat, you should give the process at least a couple of hours to update DNS servers around the world)

Guest techyguyni

hi john

thats for your informative reply, very much apreciate it.

Ok so my next interest is email, can you recommend anyway i can host my own email apose to having to use a third party like my domain provider? I notice a smtp option within iis and its got my thinking, would it be possible to create an email with the domain suffix eg, info@mydomainname.com and will it let me send and receive.

I have looked into exchange server but this maybe overkill? also i dont want to overload my server with to many services.

finaly i beleave it is not wise to host a website with iis on a domain controller is this true, what is your stance on this ?

thanks again 

Most ISP's will block Port 25 for home use so without that available it's not worth the effort.

Now having said that they will open thst port for more money.