RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

IIS Hiding my IP Address to the public

Guest techyguyni

Guest techyguyni

Hi

Iam hosting a wevsite on Windows Server 2012 R2 With IIS, When users view the site online via www.mydomainname.com the site loads but once loaded it replaces the url with the ip address of the server, I would like to know if its possible and how to keep the url and not show the ip address when pople view my site.

thanks 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• jem101

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Firstly check that you have a proper 'A' record in your DNS zones. Failing that it'll be a misconfig in one of the IIS settings.

What's the domain name, should be possible to check the zone entries.

John

In this case an A Record would be the domain name and the IP address of the server.  if this site is different from the Anywhere Access URL, you will need a new domain name aside form the one already being used.

A new thread?

Guest techyguyni

i have a domain name that i bought from a domain name provider, i have forwarding to my ip address that my iis sits at, i type the domain nane and it loads my site, at which part or were do i stop the ip from been shown insted of the url

i have a record with the domain name and the ip address of the server and a reverse lookup xone as well 

???

Edited by techyguyni

Seems to be a bit of confusion now between the internal DNS running on the server and the public DNS entries for the domain name in question.

Try this

goto this site http://www.mydnstools.info/nslookup

Enter your domain name as seen by the outside world ie www.mydomain.com

Select ANY from the drop down menu and see what the public DNS servers return. What we are looking for is an 'A' record for your domain which points to the public IP address your server is on.

Just to add to the confusion an 'A' record is a host record not an alias record as you might think. There is such a thing as an alias record except they are called CNAME records which stands for Canonical Name.

Lets see what this returns as a start off.

John

OK well that's not right.

Let's assume that your domain name is techyguyni.com and the website hosted on your IIS server is www.techyguyni.com

You need to get onto whoever manages the DNS zone records for techyguyni.com and have them create an 'A' record for www and point it to whatever your public IP address for the server is.

John