RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server Backup fails..

geeba

Gessss if its not one thing with server 2012 its another... 

I now have - "Windows Backup failed to create the shared protection point on the source volumes.Detailed error: The shadow copy provider had an error. Check the System and Application event logs for more information."

I've checked the backups and none have ever completed...

Anyone got any ideas? - I tried google but there is just a mishmash of answers from services not started and disk errors...

I've just got the server up and running again... purchased Stablebit scanner and driver pool and now it wont backup... :(

Is it worth trying something like Acronis? - I just want something I can set and forget.... windows backup seems to be a bit of a headache....
Edited by geeba

Found it! 

Its Stablebit Pool! - if I remove all the folders from the backup scheduled that are located on the Drivepool the backup runs fine. 

Drashna can confirm, but this sounds familiar, like I think it's a known issue. IIRC, the answer is to back up the individual drives rather than the pool.

Cheers guys, dam! that's a complete shag!

I clicked through the drives in the pool yesterday...  In the pool I have a single folder called for instance 'Photos' but when I look at the drives its on 3 different drives with varying contents within each of them.... same for all folders....

Is there anyway to duplicate the folders exactly across the drives? this would give a bit more resilience and I could just point the backup at one drive...

I think I'm going to set 'Crashplan' to copy the folders I want to protect to an external drive as well thinking about it.... you cant have to many backups eh! :)

I'm thinking that's not a terribly good idea. I think you will find that those 'Photos' folders contain different files... well, except for the folders you have DrivePool set to duplicate.... those are duplicated on at least 2 drives by DP.

There are a couple of things you can do:

• just back up the individual drives and work with it that way. I don't think this is such a big deal really. The important thing is you can get any and all of your files back.
  • use a backup strategy like mine. I don't use Windows Server Backup to back up any data -- none at all. I use it to create an image of the WHS2011 boot drive, so I can restore it any time if necessary. My data backup is handled by RoboCopy scripts. These DO work with DrivePool. Here's some links to my strategy:

PHOTOS
http://homeserversho..._140#entry47628

BACKUP STRATEGY
http://homeserversho...1373#entry51373

BACKUP SCRIPTS
http://homeserversho...backup-scripts/

Found it! 

Its Stablebit Pool! - if I remove all the folders from the backup scheduled that are located on the Drivepool the backup runs fine. 

Yup, that would do it.

DrivePool doesn't support "Volume Shadowcopy Services". Aka the feature that supports the backup engine.

And adding support would be difficult at best. There is literally no documentation on how to do so. :(

However, you *can* backup the drives in the pool, and that's what we recommend doing.

Drashna can confirm, but this sounds familiar, like I think it's a known issue. IIRC, the answer is to back up the individual drives rather than the pool.

Yup. Dead on.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys - thanks for the replies... I've just got back after being away for work so I'm going to add each of the drives to the backup tonight.... HOLY COW ikon!!! thats one hell of a backup strategy you have there....

I think I'm going to add the drives to the backup, burn a full set of DVD's for off-site and add a USB HDD external drive and run crashplan to replicate the files I want to protect to that... does that sound ok?

Also I remember reading that DrivePool can copy folders you choose across multiple drives like you say ikon? how do I do that? I cant see any options for that like there was in Drive Extender...

Thanks again.. :)

Edited by geeba

Yeah, Ikon goes heavy on his backup stategies. But there is no such thing as too many backups. Seriously. Words to live by, and for drives to die by. :)

And your backup strategy definitely sounds good. But DVDs? Will that be enough? I'd recommend an external enclosure (maybe even multi-bay) for offsite backup.

And I'm not sure what you mean here. DrivePool functions very much like Drive Extender. Aside from that, please specify what you mean here and I'll see about answering the best I can. Chances are, I can provide the best answers here about StableBit DrivePool (no, this isn't goating/bragging/arrogance, just check my signature :) )

Invest in a portable hard drive for storage.  Your strategy for using DVD's would have been viable 10 years ago but not now.