RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can Not Join Machine to S12K E

minimos

Hi,

I can not seem to get my client PC's to connect to the server, I get the 'Cannot Connect This Computer to the Network'.

Here's a bit of back story.

I have a WHS V1 server at the moment and I have been evaluating options for a move to something more recent which supports GPT and still gives me remote access for RDP etc.

My project is in stages for budgetary reasons, phase 1 was to download from technet the S12KE evaluation and run as a VM on my desktop. I successfully concluded this phase and managed to connect a number of VM's to the server.

Phase 2, is the actual purchase of a G7 N54l some extra ram which I have done, and then  to play with the install looking at things like Hyper V etc.  I am almost complete with this phase of testing and have decided on a none VM'd version of server where I will run virtualbox headless if I need VM's (this is so I can use power states on the CPU rather than having its voltage and clock maxed out under Hyper V or ESXi).  However, I can not get any of my VMs to join the domain using the connector software.  I was almost at the point of shelling out for the server license, but I do no want to do this until I can successfully add machines and have a repeatable process if I hit any snags once I physically migrate.

Looking through the forum, I have made sure that things like DNS servers are all manually configured to point at the router which is acting as a DHCP server.  I have tried both static and leased IP addresses on the server to no luck.  I have even spun up additional VM's and reinstalled the server to no avail. 

I feel there is something obvious I am missing but do not know what.

Can anybody help?

Thanks

Minimos

Hi,

Sorry, I forgot to put details about the client VM.

There were all Windows 8 evaluation (not 8.1) from the technet site, all clean install from the iso with no other connector software installed or domains joined

Thanks

Hi,

As you suggested firewalls have been turned off on both client and server but it has not made a difference.

Is there anything else to try?

Thanks

OK, we're just talking about the VMs here, right? They're the ones having trouble joining? If so, can non-VM machines join? Let's try to isolate whether this is a VM issue or not.

BTW, WTH is S12KE: Server 12000 Essentials?

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Your right iKon I must be using a future version of the product, I do of course me S2K12E.

Ok to answer the quesitons, I am not using HomeGroup so I think we can possibly rule that out.

The only other physical clients I have are a desktop and 3 laptops but they are all configured for WHS V1 and I am a little nervous of removing the connector and losing some of my backups if I connect them back and it see's the addition as a new computer.  If I remove the WHS connector has it been proven that it will connect back with the same sid?

in the mean time I will try from a VM installed on the desktop to the physical server as I know it worked perfectly in phase 1 of my testing just using spun up VM's on the desktop

Thanks

Edited by minimos

Hi,

Ok so it was unsuccessful from the other machine but I have noted some behaviour on the client.

The connector sets a primary DNS suffix on the client after you type a username and password, but the client remains part of a workgroup, however the network is changed to a business network, so it looks like it is partially completing what it needs to do.  No computers are created in AD on the server though

Thanks

Edited by minimos