RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Media Streaming Service (Plex as a Service)

FleurDeLis425

Trying to set up Plex to be my media server to various devices in my house like the PS3 and several DVD players. I installed it on my Server 2012 R2 essential box but am realizing the issue of Plex not being a Windows service. So I have to log in to run it and then Plex stops when I get auto logged out.

Curious to how others are getting around this. Is there a way to make this a service or are you guys using something else? I wanted to go with Plex due to the trans-code on the fly ability.

Though I'm using WHS2011, I've setup mine to auto-login and to never auto-logout. I just resort to auto-locking the screen.

For me, security is not an issue. It's a home server and no other family member knows their way around it anyway.

Drashna Jaelre

... I'm getting back into Plex. It seems a lot more stable than the last time I used it. 

But IIRC, they use WebKit to render the "extra" stuff (the channels) which requires Explorer to be loaded (which means the desktop has to be loaded). I'm not sure if this "Service" util will work well.

And the auto-login thing works. But there was also a command that you could use to lock the workstation. Which would be a very good idea here, to make sure that everything is at least moderately secure.

I have found plex to be more stable as well. The one thing I did notice though is there channels are not as good as they were last year. A lot them just simply do not work