RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Fan speed

adsboel

Whats the tricks to get fan speed Down?

I have excellent temps (40 max for most, chipset 50) while idling and doing nothing, nevertheless my fans are running at 50% .. When I maxed out the system with prime95 it ran 70% ... so why so Little different?

I use optimal cooling and have a 1260L in the cabinet and not extra pci Cards...

just wondering if anyone can point to the source of the problem?

I am using the builting B120i on port 1 only using a SSD at the moment (given that my caviar Black are out of action) .. power consumption is 128gb usb stick in internal USB, a SSD drive in bay 1 and 1260L in the cpu slot together with 2x8gb of RAM, it is not excactly what I define as stressed out system :)

but yes, i use B120i

Edited by adsboel

Reading the post and looking at my firmware version, it looks like i still have stock firmware 1.30 jul 2013 .. maybe give an upgrade a try

My SSD is a Corsair Netron 240GB GTX, which in layman terms is a high IOPS device :)

iLO HD max sensor reports 50C

LOM sensor is the highest at 50C but rest are between 35 and 43 .. not excactly scary.

Ill up my firmware and pray alot. As for fan issue, I cant remember how the fan was before upgrade of CPU, because two systems are NeXT to eachother. I just noticed the fanspeed by accident after taking out some hot spinners.

Ill see if i resolve issue and post back to the thread.

ok, ilo is 1.32 now, so that shouldbe be the issue. you might be right about the SSD compatibility mode and I am abit clueless what todo apart from waste performance by adding it to the ODD instead or buy some cheap earplugs for the Family :)

I doubt its helps to just reduce fan settings, its must be false reads from SSD drive. assuming higher temps that it has (or no temp reads)

Yep. A couple of HP people have posted here how the fan speed calculation in the Gen8 is quite complicated, and how, when the iLO can't find the info it wants, it defaults to assuming the worst case scenario, so it maxes out the cooling.