RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Plex and Blu Ray

Dave

Hey Guys,

I could probably go elsewhere and look this up but I thought it might be a good conversation point.  I'm about to the point where I want to rip my Breaking Bad Blu Ray Collection and am wondering what would be the best way to go about it?  In fact, I would say i'm somewhat of a Blu Ray ripping novice.  I've never streamed one.  I usually use the disk.

I've been experimenting with streaming from Plex to Roku and it hasn't been a good experience so far.  Seems there are a few limitations when it comes to Roku's ability to handle data.  I just loaded up Plex Server on my WHS 2011 and will experiment with it there.  Maybe it's just the Atom processor in the Synology that's not keeping up.  I have not dug real deep on it honestly.

I'll also be taking a look back at this thread.  Remember this thread?  It was popular!

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1984-methods-of-ripping-dvd-and-blu-ray/

The final releases of the software versions My Movies for Windows Media Center 4.06, My Movies Collection Management 4.06 and My Movies Home and Essentials Server Solution 2.14 is now available.

The package contains many interesting additions, among that a new event handling functionality to use in relation with remote control devices on Android, iPhone and iPad.

Also included is an experimental option to copy to lossless MKV files in the My Movies Home and Essentials Server Solution.

Suppose to work on WHS2011 & WS2012 Essentials, not sure about R2

I've been experimenting with ripping lately as well. AnyDVD + MyMovies seems to be popular with WMC folks, but I don't have a WHS or HTPC. I had to rip to mkv using MakeMKV and then use Handbrake to reduce the size to something my  Plex server wouldn't choke on. It can stream fine to my Roku and other Plex app devices.

The only problem I have now is subtitles. They just don't show up through Plex, but they show fine through VLC on my pc. I tried to research it, but subtitles appear to be a whole other can of worms unfortunately. Good luck.

As diehard mentioned, mymovies now has make MKV and can handle either the native folder and MKV.  I have been using AnyDVD HD along with TsMuxer for years and that combo works well for me as can remove the crap from the movie,  I store everything in native uncompressed with only the HD sound track,  It streams great natively from a VM and plex works fine though the existing version of Plex has trouble with a couple of movies and pixelates a bit.  The prior version did not have this issue.  It is only on a few and I plan on trying to see if is related to server side because I am using a VM.  Streaming to TMT is flawless every time so that is the way I manly watch internally and use Plex for all external streaming.

I've been playing around with ripping blurays and using the combination of My Movies, WHS2011, and Media Center for several years. Last month I was inspired by you guys to try Plex. I installed the Plex Theater package on my htpc and saw the plugin for Media Center. Sweet! Here's a little background:

Previously I had been ripping the entire disc to .iso files. I use DVDFab because I tried it, it worked and I stuck with it. AnyDVD seems to be the most popular, but DVDFab has always worked for me. I used the isomounter from the SlySoft website to mount the .iso in Media Center so that I could play it back within Media Center using the My Movies plugin and ArcSoft's TotalMediaTheater6. This combo has proved very frustrating over the years. Sometimes it would work great, most times it would attempt to launch TMT and hang, then fall back to Media Center.

When I started playing around with Plex, I found that the streams had to be in a folder structure. I then converted some of the .iso files to the folder structure using DVDFab. That was fast. I also only grabbed the main movie, which I found was all I really watched anyway. 

Ironically, I have found that the combination of Media Center, My Movies, and TMT6 works perfectly using the folder structure! I am hugely pleased at this, and have been converting everything to the folder structure and building up the MyMovies collection on my WHS2011 box. Over the weekend I ripped my entire Bond50 box set onto the server and last night watched From Russia With Love over the network on my htpc. No issues.

So, in the end I don't seem to be using Plex for this use case. 

To make a long response even longer, I am starting to digitize my Hi-8 home movies. I am using Plex to watch those and really like it. I especially like how it pulls an image for the background in the UI. Here's a link to an ebook that got me started. Not really necessary but I liked how it walked me through the setup.

http://store.wegotserved.com/products/stream-music-and-video-with-plex-media-server

Hope this is useful.

Jon

+1 for DVD Fab. Love it. Lots of options, or rather simple. 

I used to use it to rip DVDs though. Haven't used it .... since I downgraded netflix to online streaming only. :P

So does Plex Media Server recognize /BDMV folder structures now or do they have to be ripped to MKV using MakeMKV? I could've sworn PMS was working with BDMV rips on my system until recently. Though I realize it doesn't support ISO playback like Mediabrowser3.

Plex does recognize the BDMV folder structures. That's what put me down this path to start with. I haven't messed with the transcoding stuff yet. I was just trying to get my blurays visible via Media Center.

Ironically, this evening for some reason Plex wiped out my Movies folder content and will not display it. The content is still on the server and I can still access it correctly via Arcsoft's TMT6. When I "refresh" it cycles through all the titles and then shows me...nothing. This started when I did hit "refresh" to update the folder contents in Plex.

The folder where I have my Hi-8 home movies is still visible in plex, has content, and functioning.

I don't think I'm going to mess with figuring this out tonight.

Jon, please let me know what you discover. I'm having this same issue and I've tried everything. Reason I asked about BDMV folder structures was because it recognized them until a day ago and I didn't change anything. That led to me uninstalling and reinstalling Plex versions which hasn't resolved the issue. Plex Pass support answer is for me to rerip as MKV and not BDMV which seems unacceptable.

Jason, I'm glad you posted this. My next step was to uninstall and reinstall Plex. I'll still give that a shot, but probably not have time until next Sunday.

I have not yet signed up for Plex Pass. I won't go down that path until I solve this. Here's what I think may have happened, but not certain because it all happened so fast. I have been ripping many of my Blurays, now that I have MyMovies working well in Media Center. I was in the Plex web browser and noticed that not all the content was synced, so I manually hit the resync button. It seemed to just deleted everything off the page and that was the end. Not sure if my having a DVD ripped into VOB files caused this issue or not.

I was thinking about uninstalling, deleting the Plex database, and then starting over to see what happens.

I'll post after I fool around with it, probably in a few days.