RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
oj88

3TB vs 4TB WD Red (WDx0EFRX)

ikon

LMAO :D

oj88

LOL!

I think there's an inverse relationship between the length of the sig line to ones attention span.

BTT: And so, like I mentioned.. got me a 4TB WD Red. I'm still running a lengthy surface scan on it using HD Sentinel which will probably take another 10-12 hours to finish.

That said, many thanks to the comedians here for making the wait less painful. :D

• Like 1

Essexraptor

(Sigh) It's that time again to add another drive. Capacity aside, are there other technical considerations that I should look out for when choosing between the two?

I already have four 3TB Reds and they have been in their best behavior since new. Did it change for the better or worse on the 4TB version of the EFRX?

Any update on how you got on with the 4TB version... if you went ahead with the purchase....

ty in advance

ikon

Hmmm, I think he said he "got me a 4TB WD Red". I took that to mean he bought it.

oj88

Any update on how you got on with the 4TB version... if you went ahead with the purchase....

ty in advance

Yeah, I bought it and ran a surface scan for about 24hrs. It's been added to my Drive Bender pool of all-Red drives since about a month ago. I don't have anything to complain about these drives.

• Like 1

ikon

The main thing is to test them before putting into service. There seems to be a small % of Reds that are DOA or nearly DOA but the rest seem to run like clockwork.

Essexraptor

The main thing is to test them before putting into service. There seems to be a small % of Reds that are DOA or nearly DOA but the rest seem to run like clockwork.

Using the WD testing utility ?

I actually tested a  WD 2.5" Scorpio... WD25000BEVS... manufactured in 2007... yesterday and it was fit as a fiddle... I can't work out why they have these problems with the newer gen stuff ?

So the moral of the story is a complete test before committing these Red drives to data storage duties   :).... shame really, they are a good price here in the UK at the moment

Edited by Essexraptor

ikon

These days, I think it's prudent to test all drives before putting them into service. Part of the issue, I think, is the increased storage capacity. It puts more demands on the technology.