RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Media Browser 3

Dave

We briefly discussed Media Browser 3 on the last podcast (249) and I am wondering if anyone is using it?  Supposedly it supports Live TV now.  I might try it out if I can find some time!  How about you guys?

Didn't know it supported live TV. Uninstalled MB3 altogether and moved to Plex. Am amazed Plex still doesn't support LTV.

I just installed it both on my server and client to test it out. It seems to have nice features. Didn't try live tv yet, may be availabe in UK only... I'll see how it goes. I like the ability to have settings for each user like parental control. 

I got it installed and you need a plugin for live tv.  The plug in seems to strip all the info out of Media Center or use Media Center services on the server you install MB3 on.  Of course, I installed on a Windows 8 test box that doesn't have MC installed.  Not sure I like that implementation either.

I'm using it.  I never got into Plex (which I understand does something very similar).  I was a mediabrowser fan from their earlier version (before the client/server split) so when they came out with this new version I upgraded.

Things I like:

Online streaming ability (can give friends/family a login page and they can stream shows I've downloaded)

Better metadata.  It felt like in the old mediabrowser I was constantly clearing the library and rebuilding because it wouldn't download the cover art even though shows were named correctly.

With one server, it can keep track of what I've watched, where I left off in a series, partial playthroughs and resumes, that kind of thing.  Pause downstairs, continue watching upstairs from same point.

Things I don't like:

I don't like everything consolidated on one server for reliability reasons.  Twice I've opened up mediabrowser on my HTPC and gotten the "can't find server"  First time was my error.  Second time the service didn't start in WS2012E R2.  I had to go into services and hit 'start server' 2 or 3 times to get it to go, and it still does this from time to time.  Not good.  I personally prefer to have as much of my HTPC setup as possible to be 'stand alone' because I don't have the best track record when it comes to uptime.

Since I'm still learning WS2012E R2 and I'm in way over my head, I don't think my server box is the best place for MB3server to be.  At least, not for now while I'm still tinkering with it.  My short term plan is to install MB3server on each of my HTPCs and have each run independent of each other.  I realize that I will lose the ability to pause a show in one place and pickup in another (at least, I think thats true).  I just hope that running MB3 server doesn't keep all the different HTPCs from going to sleep.  I guess we will find out.

Edited by hoorah