RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Smartarray 'predictive failure'

adsboel

Hi Guys,

What do I do if smart array says I am going to get a failure soon?

It doesn't make sense to me as it was functioning fine in my desktop as strip raid and after I moved it the microserver as mirror raid it has to rebuild constantly.

In short, either drive is a dud or its false positive.

Any ideas to resolve this?

Test one is to split drives into separate arrays and fully format them both .. if that goes well (still waiting for the bad seed to complete) without bad sectors or any hints of problems .. what next?

Hi Guys,

What do I do if smart array says I am going to get a failure soon?

It doesn't make sense to me as it was functioning fine in my desktop as strip raid and after I moved it the microserver as mirror raid it has to rebuild constantly.

In short, either drive is a dud or its false positive.

Any ideas to resolve this?

Test one is to split drives into separate arrays and fully format them both .. if that goes well (still waiting for the bad seed to complete) without bad sectors or any hints of problems .. what next?

Well, maybe the software/hardware in your desktop didnt correctly detect anything and when you moved it to the G8, it did detect any undetected problems.

The only way for sure is to split them and diagnosis them separately.

Edited by riahc3

.. doing :)

The question is still, is a format enough to diagnose ?

A format simply gives a file system to a drive. It doesnt diagnose anything...

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm Here is a list of popular tools from Seagate, WD, etc. for their drives. Run the one for your drives. You MIGHT get lucky and they MIGHT support the drives in RAID but dont count on it...

Edited by riahc3

Also, hasn't been mentioned in a while, but SpinRite is a popular hard drive tool for some of us forum members. It's not free; there is no trial version but, for us, it works so it's worth it.

Read abit about spinrite and saw a wonderfull podcast from the author about what Spinrite does. As much as I like the person behind it, I think ill pass the drive on to WD as I realized Black Caviar has 5 year warranty.

I took the drive out of my server and back into my desktop and ran smartctl on it and show a lot of warning... I'll see if WD's warranties work before doing anything.

As much as I think the problem with the desc was there already, or atleast or provoked by moving between servers, I also realized that these FEAX drives get a lot more hot than I'd like them to be in the Gen8 and I'll get some mirrored WD Reds instead.

My previous setup was raid-5 greens and they were nice and cool, but I guess blacks are abit different :) :)

Edited by adsboel

The other thing is that WD Blacks do not support TLER (Time-Limited Error Recovery) in a RAID, while WD RE drives and WD Reds do.

For performance, I'd be buying WD RE (raid edition) drives.  If that isn't needed, WD Red drives are less costly.  Blacks are nice drives, but they're nice desktop drives.

Or better yet, use the Reds for your data.  Use a separate boot drive (like a 2.5" SSD) to get operating system performance.  That's exactly what I'm doing.

Edited by LoneWolf

Already have high IOPS SSD for virtualization and boot, so i am just readying server for resilient storage. 2xWD Reds would do fine+usb3 based solution.

As for Blacks, they are desktop drive and very excellent in fact. I only moved them to my Gen8 because I hadnt anything else i could free up lying around while waiting for my SSD to arrive.

Edited by adsboel

Absolutely agree. If a suspect drive is under warranty, then go that route. Just remember, you will almost certainly be getting a refurb drive as a replacement. That said, WD has an excellent RMA process. You can go onto their site and find out exactly when a drive's warranty is up, and also can create an RMA ticket that has all the instructions you need to ship the drive back.