RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hardware for 2012 E R2

Different strokes... I have 2 Asus UEFI boards; don't like the interface. It works, but it looks like a kindergarten project done by a summer student intern :D

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Poppapete

• ikon

• Drashna Jaelre

• Renny

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You guys don't know when your on a good thing!.  Try booting into a non UEFI again board then you can complain. However I do agree that the ASUS UEFI is too "busy" and reminds me of Disneyland. I was

I have added a signature with my new server specs.   DrivePool still on trial so I need to buy another license. Must make sure Covecube can keep paying Drashna.   Scanner transferred from old  ser

Poppapete

You guys don't know when your on a good thing!.  Try booting into a non UEFI again board then you can complain. However I do agree that the ASUS UEFI is too "busy" and reminds me of Disneyland. I was an ASUS devotee but am now in the SuperMicro camp when it comes to a MB for a server.

Edited by Poppapete
  • Like 1
Drashna Jaelre

Well, some of us don't like purely text based interfaces. Some of us like GUIs. :)

And to be honest, I'm not happy with my SuperMicro's UEFI firmware. But I may need to contact them. When I go to the security tab, it locks up....

Poppapete

Maybe I spoke too soon. Haven't had my SuperMicro board long enough to make any statements!

Drashna Jaelre

lol. I've had mine for a week. :)

Also, I wish I'd gotten an IPMI board. But I didn't see any with UEFI and IPMI... 

Though Intel vPro is nice when you can get it working. :)

Being able to VNC into your BIOS is brilliant!

Poppapete

I have added a signature with my new server specs.

DrivePool still on trial so I need to buy another license. Must make sure Covecube can keep paying Drashna.

Scanner transferred from old  server.

Edited by Poppapete
  • Like 1
Drashna Jaelre

Must make sure Covecube can keep paying Drashna.

That's a sentiment I can fully support! ;P

I have added a signature with my new server specs.

out of curiousity, does that board support UEFI?

I ask, because I just got the X10SAT-O, which does. But it doesn't support IPMI.

Also, have you played with IPMI yet? And have you messed with Intel vPro as well? If so, how do the two compare?

@Ikon: yes, yes, I bought a "real" server board. I swear, I'm an average user. Really. I mean, it's not like I love Active Directory, am using WDS to load PXELINUX, am running a bunch of hyperV VMs, etc. :P

Poppapete

It was Andne who put me on to this board. See post #10 in this thread. It is a UEFI board. The board has dual Intel GB nics as well as the IPMI so you have 3 connections to the network. See my post #15 in this thread the day I first connected to the board from my desktop before adding any drives. I have never used vPro so I cannot compare. I have just today added the Hyper-V role and as we speak am loading my first virtual OS, Windows 8. I am using the balance of the 256 SSD to "house" the VMs. All the other files are on my 10 GB of DrivePool.  No raid.  I will just duplicate what I really think is important. Have CloudBerry to an Amazon Bucket as my offsite copy of most things. I also keep an Acronis image of all clients on the server.  Maybe I am to cautious.

To follow SuperMicro Boards you must first download the nomenclature convention or it will send you round the bend.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/Product_Naming_Convention/Naming_MBD_Intel_DP.cfm